Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Credit Score Decliined by O2??

Hi - can anyone give me any ideas why I would have been declined for a phone contract. I have been into Store to open a new business tarif contract and was declined on credit search. My husband was with me and so he tried to open the account in his name and was accepted!(which is strange as we are linked financially on our credit files). I have checked my credit file with experian and equifax and also spoken with them, I am on the electoral role for my address and I have a mortgage and some other credit (cards and loan) which is well managed no missed payments ever, no defaults/ccjs or anything negative my credit file also shows a previous and now settled O2 account again with a perfect record of payments etc. My husband however has mostly good credit but has had 4 missed payments registered in the last 12 months (not good). Experian and Equifax have checked all my previous address and are stumped as to why I was declined for a poxy phone account and O2 havent been able to give me any further info, I would rather get the account set up in my own name so if anyone has any ideas why they wouldnt want my business please help.
Highlighted
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

There is no answer for that I'm afraid, a credit issuer does not have to give any reason for declining to accept any new customer, sorry.

We could speculate and guess at the reason but not give any proper answer.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Credit Score Decliined by O2??

Hi - can anyone give me any ideas why I would have been declined for a phone contract. I have been into Store to open a new business tarif contract and was declined on credit search. My husband was with me and so he tried to open the account in his name and was accepted!(which is strange as we are linked financially on our credit files). I have checked my credit file with experian and equifax and also spoken with them, I am on the electoral role for my address and I have a mortgage and some other credit (cards and loan) which is well managed no missed payments ever, no defaults/ccjs or anything negative my credit file also shows a previous and now settled O2 account again with a perfect record of payments etc. My husband however has mostly good credit but has had 4 missed payments registered in the last 12 months (not good). Experian and Equifax have checked all my previous address and are stumped as to why I was declined for a poxy phone account and O2 havent been able to give me any further info, I would rather get the account set up in my own name so if anyone has any ideas why they wouldnt want my business please help.

earlee,

I know how you are feeling at the moment, it is not great.

If I was to have a stab in the dark, I would say that O2's system was having one of it's blips again. I recently got declined for a second line even though I am in my fifteenth month of an eighteenth month contract, where my monthly spend has been as high as £90 per month. I tried for the second line after my wife was asked for a £100 deposit whilst trying to open an account. Apparently, a bad night for the system.

I will be leaving in three months, I can't deal with incompetence, be it human or binary.

You won't get too much information from these boards concerning this matter as very few truly know about O2's credit search criteria.

Try not upset yourself about it, you clearly have nothing to hide or to be ashamed of. I can fully comprehend your frustration. You will get nothing back from O2 by posting in here and the Complaints Review Service will likely pay you lip service on matters of this type....I know.

Enjoy your phone and the knowledge that whatever you do with your life, your husband is legally bound to pay the contract. Nice!! Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

^ what he said.
Seriously though, no company will reveal exactly how they make their credit decisions. It isn't possible from the outside to know whether the system was working or not. It may have been a mistake or it may be that there is some factor they take into account.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks all for your comments.

I am now waiting for the credit referrals team to respond to me about this. We reckon that when they have a proper look at my credit info they will approve but will have to wait and see. This whole process has been a nightmare as the store I have been dealing with are completley inept and dont seem to understand the basics - in fact most information they have given me has been incorrect!! - they clearly dont understand what sort of data or information is held by the credit agencies or how the credit search system works - one idiot in store even told me that for my husband to open an account in his name for me was fraud!! (how stupid). Also they didnt tell me this but I have found out that once you have been credit searched by them any further credit search within 30 day will automatically decline irrespective of whether the first search passed or failled and the only way to get around this is with a manual override by the credit referrals dept who take ages to get back to you. As I have already been declined it is clearly pointless to do another search (without authorisation by referrals) which they have advised me to do. They also told us that if my husband opens the account I will not be able to transfer the account into my name at a later stage even if I do manage to sort out my credit score issue - which is complete rubbish as we have be told by CS that it can be done as a transfer of ownership (subject to credit score) after 3 months (obviouslly buisnesses get sold and transfer into other names all the time so this feature has to be available for business accounts!!!). So think I will go ahead and get my shiny new phone in his name and hopefully sort the rest out at a later stage. Just one further question tho if anyone can answer. The business contract is 24 months but you are able to upgrade after 12 months - does anyone know if you upgrade at 12 months if the contract will still have only 12 months left to run or will it then become a 24 month contract again after the upgrade?
Highlighted
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

$64,000 dollar question.

I bet it starts a new contract.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Highlighted
Anonymous

$64,000 dollar question.
I bet it starts a new contract.

I am willing to bet my life on it..... or at least the life of my wife! Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

There seems to be some confusion here between a credit search and a company making a credit decision.
A credit decision is made on the basis of various factors, only one of which is the search.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Earlee, your post of 12.30pm contains name calling and is quite aggressive. I understand your frustration, however when trying to sort out an issue, I find it best to remain level headed and calm.
Highlighted
Anonymous

There seems to be some confusion here between a credit search and a company making a credit decision.
A credit decision is made on the basis of various factors, only one of which is the search.

I don't think it is confusion as much as the use of terminology.

We know the OP's credit is good with the credit reference agencies, it think it is their wonky credit decision system that lets their potential customers down.