cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Checks - Hard/Soft - Re-apply on declined check?

DarthFlipper
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've had a long and arduous dealing with O2 this weekend, but I'll try and keep to the point:

I set up a contract over the phone, but had issues on the O2 website when trying to make the upfront payment.  I called them back and a man removed the whole contract, to then say that we'd need to start again.  

It was all so abrupt but he told me that the only way to do this now would be to do a fresh contract with a new credit check..

This, of course failed - I presume because of it being a 2nd check request in the same day (3rd from O2 within 2 weeks - 2 Acceptances and this, now, Declined).

I have written a full complaint about this, and other things.  Does anyone here know if the 'footprint' that they say is the 'soft check' that it implies, or is it a 'hard check'?

I want to know if it's safe for me to try again online for this contract.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11525 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3159 Solutions

@DarthFlipper 

This is from Experian

How long does a hard credit check last UK?

No, you can't remove a hard search if it was the result of a credit application you made. But most hard searches will drop off your report after a year. However, if you see a hard search on your report that you don't recognise, it could be a sign of fraud or identity theft.

And o2 always do a Hard Credit Check, as it is a request for credit, and not a quotation..
--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149128 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28467 Solutions

@DarthFlipper 

You need to wait at least 30 days before attempting another hard credit check or it will keep failing.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 8

DarthFlipper
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @MI5.  It is frustrating that O2 lean heavily on their script with 'just a footprint' and suggesting that the check would not be the hard check that it is.

Do you know what sort of damage this will have done to my credit history?  I see no reaction on Experian, and I added a trial of the Expert Experian to see live updates.  Do you know what kind of damage a 2nd try would do, if I didn't wait the 30 days?  

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 149128 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28467 Solutions

@DarthFlipper 

Failed checks will drop off your credit file after 30 days.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 8

DarthFlipper
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you.  Sorry if I'm going off on tangents here (I think I'll also call Experian), but should the credit check request from O2 show up somewhere in Experian/ClearScore/CreditKarma?

When you say 'drop off', do you mean that it simply would be deleted, or it would just show up in some 'expired' way?

Again, it'll be better for me to speak to Experian directly on this, I'm sure, but thank you for your commenting slight_smile

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 149128 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28467 Solutions

@DarthFlipper 

Check with Experian but I'm sure they get deleted.

Also, Experian and other agencies may take up to 3 months to update their database.

Message 6 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11525 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3159 Solutions

@DarthFlipper 

This is from Experian

How long does a hard credit check last UK?

No, you can't remove a hard search if it was the result of a credit application you made. But most hard searches will drop off your report after a year. However, if you see a hard search on your report that you don't recognise, it could be a sign of fraud or identity theft.

And o2 always do a Hard Credit Check, as it is a request for credit, and not a quotation..
--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 7 of 8

DarthFlipper
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for quoting this for me.  I suppose I will have to see what happens off the back of my O2 complaint and perhaps just leave them completely.  It has been quite a horrible weekend dealing with them.  I may go straight to Samsung, depending on how damaged my credit now is 😬

Message 8 of 8