cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooling off period change of Handset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had a real run-around on the phone with o2 today. Over an hour and passed from CS to cancellations to returns to sales and back to CS.

I have a new contract and I am within the cooling off period (under 7 days but I believe with o2 for change of handset you get 14?).

I have an s6 edge.. unopened. For the price difference I would rather have an s7 edge.

According to:

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/our-change-of-mind-policy 

"We understand that sometimes you may change your mind. That's why we have a 14-day change of mind period for all our customers. If you're not 100% happy with your purchase, you can get a refund or exchange your device for another model (additional fees may apply)."

Every department I have spoken to says I have to cancel my contract and get a new contract, but the above would say to me that I can exchange my handset for a different one and pay the difference? Am I completely mis-reading that?

For some reason only known to the credit application algorythminventors I was refused credit with Three and Vodafone then accepted by o2. I don't want to cancel the contract as all those recent searches I feel would affect another application. I'm more than happy to pay the difference between the handsets.. or whatever the fees are. Surely this should be possible? To me it states quite clearly it is? Hayulp!

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122788 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous I got an error with your link so used this one

The thing is you have the right to change your mind but as you are looking for a more expensive handset O2 may want to do another credit check... in which case it would be a new contract...

I think in your case that's their interpretation of "Exchange the handset for a different one and pay the difference" as you have been refused credit in the past....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
  • 122788 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous I got an error with your link so used this one

The thing is you have the right to change your mind but as you are looking for a more expensive handset O2 may want to do another credit check... in which case it would be a new contract...

I think in your case that's their interpretation of "Exchange the handset for a different one and pay the difference" as you have been refused credit in the past....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

That makes sense, however my frustration has been that at no point does this seem to have been aimed at my particular circumstances.

Customer service had no idea what I was talking about. As far as the person I spoke to was aware there is only the option to cancel. Not to exchange. So they transfered me to cancellations to ask for advice. Cancellations only deal with cancellations not exchanges, so they transferred me to returns for advice. Returns only deal with returns, not exchanges, so they transferred me to Sales for advice. Sales at this point you can probably guess, only sell stuff so back on the merry go round to CS (at which point I was cut off after over an hour) I don't fancy going through the merry go-round again. 

If they say that for my circumstances or even in general that I have to cancel and re-apply that's fine. But no one even had any idea what I was talking about and just fobbed me off onto another department each time.. the passing round sequence is actually shortened for a couple of disconnects along the way.

Not a single person I spoke to even seemed to understand the idea that it says on the website that you can exchange subject to further fees. When asked what the process was they all passed me on to someone else because they had never heard of it.

I guess I really want to know who should I speak to, am i speaking to the wrong department? Is there an email I can use? has anyone ever been able to make an exchange or is the information on that link erroneous?

Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122788 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

No email@Anonymous 

Contacting customer services is the route for cancellation.. If you are close to an O2 store you could pop in with phone and contract details and see if they are able to help more. Not the usual way unless you purchased in store but may be a quicker option in view of the 14 days time limit?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
They're just giving you the run around as usual - it's difficult to find anyone who knows what they are doing these days!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I changed a phone within 14 days. It took over two hours on the phone to o2 but eventually they sent the new phone out by courier and did a doorstep exchange.
The cost difference was added to my bill which then resulted in my services being cut the next day so again I had to phone o2. It was due to their systems automatically blocking my services cos of the high charge so they put a temporary lift on my account limits.
Keep trying u will get someone who can help. I was in exactly the same position not wanting another credit check as I would have probably not gothe another contract
Message 6 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122788 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

All of that above ^^^^^^^^^ depends entirely on what CS advisor you speak to however many times you phone them. Add to that, no-one on this thread has any idea of @Anonymous's credit history. So in fact, he could ring CS for the next 3 weeks and still get the same answer as he has already been given by O2...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 7