cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooling Off Period

Anonymous
Not applicable
Went into a shop on Fridayto originally look at Samsung S7. Ended up stupidly getting a J5 as I was told they were similar handsets. Realised this isn't the case so want to cancel the order. Can I cancel the whole new Refresh contract and go back to my old contract for a month or I have seen another provider offers a better deal on an S7 any chance O2 will match the price?
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You get 14 days to change your mind https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/our-change-of-mind-policy
It's rare that O2 will price match though as they don't feel they have to and you get more benefits going direct than through a 3rd party.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You get 14 days to change your mind https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/our-change-of-mind-policy
It's rare that O2 will price match though as they don't feel they have to and you get more benefits going direct than through a 3rd party.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous If a Refresh contract isn't important to you, then look elsewhere, but before you switch to another provider, make sure the coverage you'll be getting is as good or better than what you have now. A better deal is pointless if you don't get a decent signal.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 10

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Bambinowrote:

@Anonymous If a Refresh contract isn't important to you, then look elsewhere, but before you switch to another provider, make sure the coverage you'll be getting is as good or better than what you have now. A better deal is pointless if you don't get a decent signal.

And if you do then get your phone unlocked while its free for a better resale value or to pass to a family member.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1014131

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just want to check that I can cancel the whole plan including calls within the 14 day cooling off period. If I wanted to stay with O2 for now does my tariff go back to the one I was on before I upgraded? Also does the fact that O2 bought me out of the final month of my refresh contract affect my right to cancel the whole plan phone and calls?
Message 5 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous yes if you are within the 14 days you can cancel completely. You will have to pay for any usage on the phone such as calls or texts (tariff dependent)

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/our-change-of-mind-policy

However you won't go back to your original one

If you've signed up to O2 Refresh by buying out your old contract early and then change your mind, you can't go back to your old tariff once your new service has started and you can't get a refund on your old contract buy-out fee.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry if this sounds stupid so will I basically have no contract with O2 then if I decide not to take another handset from them?
Message 7 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymouswrote:
Sorry if this sounds stupid so will I basically have no contract with O2 then if I decide not to take another handset from them?

That's right. If you cancel, you won't be with O2 unless you take out a new contract with them (or a third party reseller such as CPW)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't believe how difficult O2 are being about the whole thing. I don't even have the handset as they didn't have it in stock! Now I am being told that I cannot cancel until the phone is physically in the shop. Just a load of rubbish to get me in the shop and try to sell me something else.
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Unfortunately that's the way O2 do it, which isn't the most convenient.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10