Did you mean: 

Contracts

Chloe021
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Advice/help needed.

I pay for mine and my ex’s contract they’re both in my name. Due to personal reasons he hasn’t been paying and I’ve had a hard time dealing with his rubbish excuses! I’m a single mother and finding it hard to carry on paying the both. I have an iPhone X and iPhone 11 that I’m paying for. I’m using the 11 and he has my iPhone X, however I’ve been made aware he’s actually sold it. Is there anyway I can cancel/cut off the sim but still be able to use the phone without having to pay a large amount of money?

Edit - he is still using the sim as I pay for the device and the sim on both phones. So my contract is with the X which he has sold but I’ve still got the sim. His is with the 11 which I’m using but he’s using his sim. I pay for the whole of it obviously.
Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bigdavie88
Level 9: Fired up
  • 144 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 14 Solutions

You tell o2 what phone number is to be barred (ex partners sim) and request they put a bothway bar on it so he cant receive or make any calls. If they put an IMEI bar on too at same time that will also bar the phone hes currently using which would probably be a good way to *bleep* him off more but just ask for the bothway for the sim.

You then request to IMEI bar the iphone X handset so you may need the IMEI number of that phone but if you dont have it the adviser can check a system called ABS which they can use to track every phone used with his sim. Assuming he hasnt used any more than one iphone X they would bar the most recent iphone X he has been using. They can also find the iphone X IMEI in your orders on their synergy/carex system.

Once the sim has been barred you can request they send you a replacement sim for the number he uses so you could give it to someone else to use. You could even ask them to change the number too once everything done.

Thing to remember is the contract is in your name and the iphone x was your property so it can be classed as stolen if hes sold it. You are in control as your legally liable for it regardless of who it was intended for.

Also to confirm all actions would be taken on his phone number so will have no effect on your iphone 11 at all. The phones are not linked to the original contract if you have swapped them round they are linked to whatever sim is in the phone at the time.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Chloe021 

The only way is for you to pay off the device plan and then cancel the airtime for free. 
Guide: How does O2 Refresh work? 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

bigdavie88
  • 144 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 14 Solutions

You can also call o2 and get them to put a bar on the sim hes using which means he cannot use it. 

I would also request o2 place an IMEI bar on the iphone hes sold as its your property as your legally liable for it and he shouldnt have sold it. He should have gave you the phone back so you could have sold it yourself to recoup some of the money you will need to pay.

Message 3 of 5

Chloe021
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’ve had a restriction put on the sim but if I put an IMEI bar on the device would it just be the device only and not the sim? Because the sim for that contract phone is mine if you get me? And it’s in my phone (11) as I stated above.
Message 4 of 5

bigdavie88
  • 144 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 14 Solutions

You tell o2 what phone number is to be barred (ex partners sim) and request they put a bothway bar on it so he cant receive or make any calls. If they put an IMEI bar on too at same time that will also bar the phone hes currently using which would probably be a good way to *bleep* him off more but just ask for the bothway for the sim.

You then request to IMEI bar the iphone X handset so you may need the IMEI number of that phone but if you dont have it the adviser can check a system called ABS which they can use to track every phone used with his sim. Assuming he hasnt used any more than one iphone X they would bar the most recent iphone X he has been using. They can also find the iphone X IMEI in your orders on their synergy/carex system.

Once the sim has been barred you can request they send you a replacement sim for the number he uses so you could give it to someone else to use. You could even ask them to change the number too once everything done.

Thing to remember is the contract is in your name and the iphone x was your property so it can be classed as stolen if hes sold it. You are in control as your legally liable for it regardless of who it was intended for.

Also to confirm all actions would be taken on his phone number so will have no effect on your iphone 11 at all. The phones are not linked to the original contract if you have swapped them round they are linked to whatever sim is in the phone at the time.

Message 5 of 5