cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I have a contract that is until Feb and I smashed my phone today.  Can I cancel my contract early?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can cancel your phone contract any time you want. However there will be penalties to be paid. 

• If Refresh, pay off handset and give 30 days notice for the airtime.. 
  • If a 2 year contract, pay off the number of months remaining multiplied by the monthly cost. 
Message 2 of 7

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, you need to pay off what you owe on the phone and you can cancel the airtime for free (assuming a refresh contract) but you can't just cancel and walk away for free.
You still have to honour your contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous You will still need to pay what you owe before you can leave or upgrade to a new phone 

Message 5 of 7

DDRomford
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
If repair is out of the question, you could consider buying an inexpensive handset sim free and putting the contract Sim in it, just to tide you over to upgrade time. Also, check your home insurance; some policies will replace a mobile handset damaged accidentally, less whatever the excess is on the policy.
As was already stated, paying off the balance owed on the contract up until the end date would always be an option, but could be more expensive than getting a cheaper phone and making use of the tariff.
Message 6 of 7

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Good morning @Anonymous how are you doing? Sorry to hear your phone was broken! 😞 Let us know if you have any additional questions! 

Thanks all for your help @jonsie, @MI5, @Anonymous, @DDRomford! slight_smile

Message 7 of 7