Did you mean: 

Contract phone...and insurance

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi

I have been reading some posts that mention insurance and contract phones. When i changed from PAYG to Contract last week, I wasn't asked about insurance at all. Just want to check if insurance on my new phone is my responsibility to sort independently, or should O2 CS have asked me when I agreed terms and conditions etc? This transfer to Contract was conducted over the telephone not an O2 shop.  Thanks for any advice.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I think I need insurance really, in case the worst happens with my new 'super dooper' smartphone! Having never been on contract before I didnt even think about it! If I choose not to have O2 insurance and went with someone else, wouldnt that create its own problems if, for whatever reason, i needed a new phone?? (Delays etc in settling claims, leaving me without a phone for weeks?) If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks

Hi Cleoriff.  The cost for O2's insurance depends on what handset you have.  Remember it will be a monthly fee, with a policy excess to pay if you make a claim (again depends on the cost of the handset).  It works a little like home/car insurance in that kind of way.

Take the guys advice and shop around.  Its not easier/harder than making a claim on o2's insurance.  You might save money in comparison to O2's.

Remember too that O2 will only insure your phone within the first 28 days of you having it.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Insurance is your own responsibility although whoever you spoke to might have suggested it. O2 insurance is expensive compared to some independents so you might want to shop around.

Some bank accounts cover mobile phones (usually a monthly fee for this and other benefits) so you would have to register the IMEI of the phone with the banks underwriters or your home insurance may cover personal items.

Message 2 of 6

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Unless you were offered and accepted O2 Insurance you have 30 days I believe to take it out.

Personally I don't like it as it's far too expensive and you can be asked to pay up to £50 or more to make a claim.

Many banks include this on their paid for accounts and home insurance can too which is far cheaper.

If you really want this I would take your time as there are many dodgy companies out there.

You can check what you have bought in MyO2.

Register your new phone here free to help if you part company with it:

http://www.immobilise.com/

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I think I need insurance really, in case the worst happens with my new 'super dooper' smartphone! Having never been on contract before I didnt even think about it! If I choose not to have O2 insurance and went with someone else, wouldnt that create its own problems if, for whatever reason, i needed a new phone?? (Delays etc in settling claims, leaving me without a phone for weeks?) If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi Cleoriff.  The cost for O2's insurance depends on what handset you have.  Remember it will be a monthly fee, with a policy excess to pay if you make a claim (again depends on the cost of the handset).  It works a little like home/car insurance in that kind of way.

Take the guys advice and shop around.  Its not easier/harder than making a claim on o2's insurance.  You might save money in comparison to O2's.

Remember too that O2 will only insure your phone within the first 28 days of you having it.

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I like O2's insurance.  I have the same phone as you Cleoriff and I pay £10 per month on my monthly bill and as far as I am aware, it is £25 excess per claim. O2 Insure are also generally good with stock and dispatch your handset that day or the next. Of course the guys are right - you may find it cheaper elsewhere and O2 will be happy to send you a proof of purchase should they need that.

Message 6 of 6