cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract finished - can I start a new one?

DG92
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

My contract for the phone I have at the moment finished yesterday. I'm looking for a new phone and the phone I want is cheapest with O2 again, through a new contract with mobilephonesdirect.

In comparison to using the upgrade option through O2, which is £30 (!) more expensive!

Can I order a new phone with O2, then port my current O2 number over to the new contract?

Also, in my O2 when I go to change my Tariff, it says none are available - what gives?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147263 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28301 Solutions

@DG92 

You can apply through MPD and if you pass the credit checks, you can migrate your number across Guide: Migration & porting into O2  

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 12

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7170 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1592 Solutions

Remember, come April there will be a price rise of inflation plus 3.9% With O2 that will only apply to the airtime. With MPD the handset cost will be included, and if you take it out on a 2 year deal there will be two of those rises. It may not work out as cheap as you think

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 12

DG92
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi MI5, just to check - on the my O2 app it says my contract ends 18 Nov '23 (yesterday), so will I be required to pay a bill if I choose to move to another provider?

Message 4 of 12

DG92
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My current bill per month is £36.76 - I can get a phone that is 2 years newer than the one I have for £28 a month - so it seems to me switching is the better option, no?

Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 147263 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28301 Solutions

@DG92 

You get a final bill from O2 for the old contract up to the point you migrate your number.

Your new  account will have that merged into your next bill.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 6 of 12

Oxonian
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 7766 Posts
  • 155 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@DG92 

Have you considered shopping around for a new handset direct from (say) Samsung or from the likes of Amazon, Currys or Argos ? And then going SIM only with O2 ?

With Black Friday around the corner and the likes of Samsung offering good trade-in deals, the options are numerous. 

Please let us know what you settle on.    

Message 7 of 12

jonsie
  • 93353 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6986 Solutions

I just bought a phone £150 off at Samsung

No free airbuds although with the problems getting them I'm not bothered 

Got a pair of buds last time I upgraded

Sticking with my £12.00/12 month 100GB airtime plan from USwitch

Message 8 of 12

Oxonian
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 7766 Posts
  • 155 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@jonsie 

Sounds like a good solution to me. 😃

Message 9 of 12

MI5
  • 147263 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28301 Solutions

Assuming the OP can afford to pay outright for their chosen device 🙄

Message 10 of 12