Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Contract cancellation options for reception issues

I've been on contract with O2 for maybe 9 years. I've not had any issues, but then I'm onlya low usage user.

18 months ago I accepted a renewal of my contract around the same time I moved to a new address. Unfortunately it seems that an approx 400m square area around my house is a dead zone for O2 reception. I have discussed this with Customer Services but they informed me that reception showed as 'strong' in that area and there wasn't much they could do.

I percivered with this since I don't use the phone much. My call record will demonstrate lots of repeat calls around the length of 3 minutes, at which point I'll be cut off after 10s or so of cut out audio.

But now, I am starting a business and I cannot be cut off whilst talking to clients. I need to sort this out - potentially by moving to another provider (no other phone companies have an issue with reception here). 

From what I've read, I have no hope of O2 letting me go early. Is that true? My contract ends in October, but I cannot wait that long to get a working phone.

I could drop into a high street phone shop and buy out the contract, but that isn't free or cheap. Given the amount of time (1/3rd of my life!) I've been with O2 I'd hope I wouldn't be penalised in this way, especially considering the poor reception I am being provided in this area.

I'd happily talk to O2 over the phone about it, but I'd just get cut off!

Any ideas?

Anonymous

Re: Contract cancellation options for reception issues

Quite honestly your only viable option is to pay off your contract. If you move to an area where there is poor signal you do not have any comeback as you are not guaranteed coverage everywhere. 

As to your business, take a tip from someone who has been self employed for many years. Have a separate phone for personal and business. When you come to filling in tax returns it makes life so much easier as you can set off all your line rental and calls against tax. 

Anonymous

I have recently joined the O2 Pay Monthly and the service that I received was deplorable. I cancelled the contract and now I am still being billed although I have not seen my bill for the last 2 months, therefore do not know when they are going to take the money, and I am unable to find a number to contact them to find out why when the contract has been cancelled they still insist on taking the money

Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

@Anonymous wrote:

I have recently joined the O2 Pay Monthly and the service that I received was deplorable. I cancelled the contract and now I am still being billed although I have not seen my bill for the last 2 months, therefore do not know when they are going to take the money, and I am unable to find a number to contact them to find out why when the contract has been cancelled they still insist on taking the money

See "Contact us" at the bottom of every page.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Anonymous

hammonda31

Contract cancellation options for reception issues

I've been on contract with O2 for maybe 9 years. I've not had any issues, but then I'm onlya low usage user.

18 months ago I accepted a renewal of my contract around the same time I moved to a new address. Unfortunately it seems that an approx 400m square area around my house is a dead zone for O2 reception. I have discussed this with Customer Services but they informed me that reception showed as 'strong' in that area and there wasn't much they could do.

I percivered with this since I don't use the phone much. My call record will demonstrate lots of repeat calls around the length of 3 minutes, at which point I'll be cut off after 10s or so of cut out audio.

But now, I am starting a business and I cannot be cut off whilst talking to clients. I need to sort this out - potentially by moving to another provider (no other phone companies have an issue with reception here). 

From what I've read, I have no hope of O2 letting me go early. Is that true? My contract ends in October, but I cannot wait that long to get a working phone.

I could drop into a high street phone shop and buy out the contract, but that isn't free or cheap. Given the amount of time (1/3rd of my life!) I've been with O2 I'd hope I wouldn't be penalised in this way, especially considering the poor reception I am being provided in this area.

I'd happily talk to O2 over the phone about it, but I'd just get cut off!

Any ideas?

----------------------------------

Hi

Unfortunately O2 can't provide service in every single part of the country.  And they don't promise that they do.  So if you move into an area where service isn't great in your house, then O2 aren't responsible for that so wouldn't let you out of your contract without a termination fee.

The way I see it you've got the following options:

- Persevere with the issue and see out the contract, then move.

- Pay a termination fee to end your contract early

- Find a high street phone retailer willing to buy you out of your contract

In my opinion I'd agree with a previous poster saying not to take out a personal contract and rely on it for business use.