cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract cancellation due to moving abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im moving away to the United States for work. Obviously, I wont be using my UK phone and therefore need rid. I have around 8 months left to run. Are my only options paying off the remainder of the contract in full or letting it run from my account....However, I am shutting my bank account so I'm curious what options I have.

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Thats basically your only option. You could try and convince a family member to take on the remainder of the contract and then when ended, get them to take over the contract. In the meantime you'll still be liable for all unpaid bills even if payment comes from their bank account.

You could try and get the contract swapped to a family member but they'd need to pass the credit checks too.

Otherwise, to avoid the hassle, pay up the remainder and sell the phone to cover the costs! If you have no intention of returning, then do that but I'd suggest to keep hold of it for a month or two whilst you settle then decide. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Pay it off in full in advance or get someone you trust to take over payments for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 3

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Thats basically your only option. You could try and convince a family member to take on the remainder of the contract and then when ended, get them to take over the contract. In the meantime you'll still be liable for all unpaid bills even if payment comes from their bank account.

You could try and get the contract swapped to a family member but they'd need to pass the credit checks too.

Otherwise, to avoid the hassle, pay up the remainder and sell the phone to cover the costs! If you have no intention of returning, then do that but I'd suggest to keep hold of it for a month or two whilst you settle then decide. 

Message 3 of 3