cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract canceling

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

I have taken a phone on contract for 24 months in April 2012, but it doesn't work properly sometimes, the screen freezes, the same texts are sent a few times and generally it works slow, this is Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S and I know it's been way more than 28 days to swap it for something else. 

Can anyone suggest me what I should do in order to get rid of this problem? I was also thinking of cancelling my contract, but how much would I have to pay for it? 

Thanks a lot, 

Mallie

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not know the process for updating firmware etc on your phone but its got to be the first thing you try as sony or O2 will ask if you have done it. 

MI5, Jonsie can you advise on this?

Message 11 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I'll see if it's up to date and maybe it will help

Message 12 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144293 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not know the process for updating firmware etc on your phone but its got to be the first thing you try as sony or O2 will ask if you have done it. 

MI5, Jonsie can you advise on this?

It will depend on branding / locks etc but some info here http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/software/phones/xperia-arc-s/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mallie...

Did the phone work properly when you first had it?

Have you ever used sony's "PC Companion" software (the program you install on your computer to connect the phone to the computer - for updates and backing up of contacts etc)?

The reason I ask is a lot of sony Xperia phones received an update during the summer/autumn this year and some people found that their phone started acting-up afterwards.   In most cases, it's easily cured by running a "repair installation"...

PLEASE NOTE....

Running a repair install will wipe all of your saved information and return the phone to it's "out of the box" settings.  You need to back-up things like contacts, text messages etc otherwise you will lose them.   Depending on your settings, they may already be backed-up to your Google account - but double check if there's anything on the phone that you can't afford to lose.

To run a "Repair Installation"...

Run sony's PC Companion software on your pc/laptop - connect the phone to that computer via USB and wait for it to be recognised.

You'll be told that your phone is "up to date".

Click on the start button in the "Support Zone" section and a new window will open.  In that window, click on the start button in the "Phone software update" section.

You'll get a pop-up message saying that your phone is upto date - at the bottom of that message you'll see "repair phone" written in blue - click on that and follow the instructions.

What this will do is reinstall the latest version of software on your phone and reset everything to defaults - this removes any apps or settings from an older software version that cause conflicts with the new version of Android. 

It's not guaranteed to be the cure for all problems but it does work for a great many and it's easy to try - plus it's free and quick.

Message 14 of 14