Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Confusion over data bolt on

I bought a Galaxy s2 via the Tesco phone shop on the o2 200 bonus tariff (200 min, unlimited texts, all rounder data 250mb at £6/month) - £21.50/month.  Literally the following day o2 changed their tariffs so this now comes with a 500mb data bolt on, still £6/month.  I was planning to return the phone as a result but got a letter from o2 saying I had 500mb data with my package.  I phoned up and this letter was an error, after some haggling they were offering me the £27/month tariff for £23/month which had the 500mb bolt on. I also noticed that when I went into manage bolt ons I could pretend I had an iphone or blackberry and get the 500mb bolt on for £6.....?!  I said I'd think about it but tried again this morning with an online agent who immediately amended my bolt on to 500mb for £6/month.  What on earth is going on?  He said something about more mins = more data or something but that didn't make much sense to me.  I can see the new bolt on pending in my account, so if it does go through tomorrow I am going to keep the phone.  I am seriously confused though, can anyone shed light on this? 

Thanks!

Level 1: Joiner

Re: Confusion over data bolt on

I would wait to tommorow and check what your account shows up with, when speaking to webchat did they ask you what mobile you use?

Anonymous

No they didn't, and I didn't offer - or equally pretend I was using an iphone etc. The system has me registered as using an old sony ericcsson - which is what I have the SIM in while I decide whether or not to return the new handset
Anonymous

Hi

Hopefully can help with the confusion.

Firstly - pretending you have an iPhone or Blackberry won't work - The bolt-ons are specific to those handsets.  In other words, if you add an iPhone bolt-on then yes, you'll have 500mb but you won't be able to use it with your non-iPhone handset.

Secondly - it's not really O2's fault entirely that you took a tariff out only for it to change the next day, leaving you feeling hard done by. 

Thirdly, and hopefully the one that helps - You can return the phone within the first 14 days and re-upgrade to the new tariff.  Or you can ask Customer Services to change you to the new tariff.  They may need approval from a Manager but should be able to accomodate you.

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

I never suggested that it was o2s fault that the tariff changed the next day and I was prepared to send it all back (and probably not bother to start again, to be honest).  I get that it's just bad luck. However I am annoyed that they send out letters to customers with the wrong information (that I had 500mb of data).  It is also a bit frustrating when one customer services advisor tells you something is impossible when another can do the same thing for you in seconds.  It is just not consistent and means I have spent a lot more time on the phone to o2 than I would like to.  I also had no plans whatsoever to 'pretend' I had an iphone/blackberry/whatever, just mentioning that those options were available to me and they didn't make sense!!