cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused on O2 travel

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not in my first youth so please be gentle!!

I am going on a cruise and will take my Smartphone which has O2 travel activated.

I am finding the terms and conditions confusing can somebody help me. I am cruising scandinavian countries and they are all included under European.

If I surf the net whilst in a country I get charged a flat rate of £1.99 and get up to 15mb, I think I understand that.

If I call back to the UK it states a 50p connection charge and then "free to talk up to 60 mins" but it doesn't clarify what that means. I assume 60 mins will come off your packaged mins as it can't be included in the £1.99?

It then goes on to state if you opt out of O2 travel you will pay the European rates of 28p per min and 8.5p for texts.

So my questions are

1) If I don't use data (data roaming switched off) do I still get charged £1.99 for using O2 travel to make voice calls on top of 50p connection charge?

2) Am I right in thinking that the 60 mins reduces your packaged allowance minutes and any call above 60 mins you pay for the excess mins.

3) Is the 60 mins per call and not in total? i.e., if i make 10 calls of 30 mins i.e., 300 mins, none of that is chargeable if I have more than 300 mins left in my allowance. They don't take the 300 mins and reduce it by the 60 and give you a hefty bill for 240 mins?

4) Final question, if I use O2 travel, what is the charge for texts? It tells tou the charge is 8.5p if you opt out of O2 travel but not what the charge is if you don't?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

MI5, that still leaves me confused then!

If I make a 60 min call what will it cost me? 50p connection and nothing else? If that is the case I am astounded that I can ring home for 50p for 60 mins. What am I missing here? 

O2 recently dropped the data from 25mb to 15mb so a worse deal for most except payg

Message 11 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144185 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Just found the original post on this http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/O2-Travel-changed-26th-march-2013/td-p/435010
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144185 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
and the extract from the help pages

"O2 Travel Voice Service

A standard 50p connection charge applies to all calls made and received by you.
In addition to this charge, calls that you make and receive will be free from minute billing for the first 60 minutes. For each call made and received that lasts more than 60 minutes, you will be charged 35p per minute from the 60th minute. This is charged in per second increments.
All charges include VAT, where applicable, unless otherwise stated.
O2 Travel applies to voice calls made back to the UK and voice calls within selected destinations and excludes calls to countries outside of the selected destinations and premium rate numbers. For details of the destinations that are part of O2 Travel, visit o2.co.uk/international."
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the further confirmation MI5. I still cannot understand why you can call home and have long chats for just 50p. I had assumed making calls also activated the £1.99 daily charge.

Message 14 of 15

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@JPT I know for a fact that the £1.99 only activates on data useage and the 50p connection fee makes the calls cheap but do not go over the 60mins as it will be 35p a min extra.

I guess o2 thought people would still use the data and recoup some costs there.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 15 of 15