cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming to the end of a device payment

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Tomorrow I finish paying off my current phone. Does this mean that I am then on a month-by-month contract? The only reason I ask is that the Pixel 2 XL has just been announced and I want to get it, but so far it only looks like Carphone Warehouse and EE are contracts for it.

Carphone Warehouse have it on a contract with o2 so I'm hoping that I can just keep my current contract and get it with them instead. If not, do I simply just cancel my contract when I'm ready to start a new one to be able to switch?

Cheers for the help!

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Your current contract will just roll on monthly until you give 30 days notice.

To keep the same contract tariff you would need to buy the phone outright and just swap the sim.

You can upgrade either through o2 or CPW but make sure you tell them you want to upgrade and not take out a new separate contract. By upgrading the previous account will be finalised and everything transferred to the new account.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Your current contract will just roll on monthly until you give 30 days notice.

To keep the same contract tariff you would need to buy the phone outright and just swap the sim.

You can upgrade either through o2 or CPW but make sure you tell them you want to upgrade and not take out a new separate contract. By upgrading the previous account will be finalised and everything transferred to the new account.

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the same boat. I have 'x' amount left and I am wondering if I pay off my device plan can i upgrade through carphone warehouse? Or will I have cancellation fees to pay?

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks a lot for the informative reply. I think I'm just going to buy the phone outright. My current contract is a good one and pretty cheap.
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous You can upgrade whenever you like but if there are fees left to pay on your device plan or contract then you would have to pay those before upgrading 

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I find out the fees that would be left to pay?

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
On refresh, you just have to pay off the device.
It tells you in your MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I pay off my o2 refresh .. I can cancel and go to carphone warehouse and get another o2 deal there?

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, correct.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 9