Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges in Australia

Mommysue
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hiya, we will be travelling to Oz and NZ soon, could someone clarify charges for me. I always switch my phone to airplane mode as soon as we get on the plane, and just use my phone via wifi. If when we get to Oz will I get charged for switching airplane mode off and receiving texts. I always phone via what's app or Facebook when connected to wifi, thus don't get charged, but obviously I can't text message. It's just text messaging that I'm confused about. Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Mommysue wrote:

Hi MI5, thank you for that info, but to receive a text I have to switch my airplane mode off, so will I therefore pay the roaming charge, this is what’s confusing me, I’m old n a bit thick 😂😂😂

If you turn off data roaming and data you can turn off airplane mode to receive normal texts for free.

Just make sure all data settings are off first and don't reply by a normal text.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
As long as you use wi-fi in airplane mode and WhatsApp to send texts,you won't be charged. It's also free to receive a text anywhere in the world.
Charges for international use can be found here
http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MommysueAlso remember to turn voicemail off before you travel (Dial 1760).

You will be charged for receiving a VM whether you answer it or not.

I also use messenger over WiFi to keep in touch with family and friends back in the UK

Have a great holiday. Lucky you wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

Mommysue
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi MI5, thank you for that info, but to receive a text I have to switch my airplane mode off, so will I therefore pay the roaming charge, this is what’s confusing me, I’m old n a bit thick 😂😂😂

Message 4 of 8

Mommysue
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your help, I’m sure we will have a good time, just don’t want to incur any needless charges x

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Mommysue wrote:

If you turn off data roaming and data you can turn off airplane mode to receive normal texts for free.

Just make sure all data settings are off first and don't reply by a normal text.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Airplane mode (re: Lesley nielsen) turns off all radio signals. Make sure roaming is also disabled.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 7 of 8

Mommysue
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks everybody, now I know 😘😘😘

Message 8 of 8