Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges abroad

Arharman14
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Currently in Corfu with my boyfriend and we have both inccured extra charges as for some reason thinks we’re in Albania which we are not. Please can you help.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7132 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1590 Solutions

Albania is close to parts of Corfu. Your phone will automatically connect to the strongest signal when roaming. I suspect that is what has happened.

You need to go into your network settings, select a Greek network and turn off automatic and choose manual.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Enlli
  • 7132 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1590 Solutions

Albania is close to parts of Corfu. Your phone will automatically connect to the strongest signal when roaming. I suspect that is what has happened.

You need to go into your network settings, select a Greek network and turn off automatic and choose manual.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 9

Arharman14
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’ve done this now, but what about our extra charges that we shouldn’t have? I’ve even got a £0 spend cap.

Message 3 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147069 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28289 Solutions

@Arharman14 

Travel costs are excluded from spend caps.

You may get the costs refunded if you ask O2 but it's not guaranteed as it's your responsibility to use your phone correctly.

You can also reach O2 via social media:
Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB), Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW), or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG)

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 9

Arharman14
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Please could I speak to someone to discuss this further as I believe we are entitled to our money back (even as credit) as we have only been in Greece and not Albania. We have never been told to manually connect to a specific network when abroad. I have messaged on Twitter but had no reply and don’t really have time to be contacting on every platform as we are trying to enjoy our holiday.

Message 5 of 9

Enlli
  • 7132 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1590 Solutions

This is a community forum made up of customers so we can't handle accounts.

Only O2 customer services can do that.

Message 6 of 9

Arharman14
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My partner has used this this platform before and your team tagged an o2 advisor who private messaged him so can someone be tagged please.

Message 7 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147069 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28289 Solutions

@O2Emma will be on from 8.00am tomorrow, however, the advice from O2, which you should have read is as follows:

How to prevent accidental roaming

Accidental roaming happens when you're in an area close to a national border and your phone picks up the network across the border. If this happens, you may be charged as though you were roaming in the country across the border. You can prevent this by choosing manual, rather than automatic, network selection on your phone and then manually choosing the O2 network. This way if you lose the O2 network, your phone won't try to connect you to a different one. For help with turning off data roaming, go to our interactive device guide

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/using-your-phone-abroad#:~:text=Accidental%20roaming%20happe....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 8 of 9

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Morning @MI5 I will pick this up thanks.

Hi @Arharman14 I will send you a private message to look into this for you.

signature
Message 9 of 9