cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges abroad are double what cost should be

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Just checking my bill for when I was abroad and using mobile for texts and calls only (didn't use for data).

Bill shows 6 calls @ £0.41 each = 2.46.  Also shows around 38 texts @ £0.04 each = £1.52

This is info from the bill breakdown and should total £3.98 but the total charge for using my phone abroad was over £8.   

Does anyone have any idea why this should be?  Is there something hidden?  I'm not unhappy with the £8 charge, it's just that it doesn't match the breakdown of calls and texts that the bill then shows me.

O2 travel is supposed to be £0.50 connection for a phone call then free (which sort of relates to the £0.41) and texts are supposed to be £0.05 (which again relates to the £0.04).

Anyone know?  I can't bear to spend forever on the phone to O2 just to be told they're right!  

Appreciate your help

Carol 

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have to hold my hands up.  My fault.  Didn't hit 'show more' at text messages.  There were 133 of them!!! Not 38.  Apologies.  A very nice online chat person helped me out and even offered to credit my account with £3 if that helped!  That was unexpectedly kind.  Didn't even call me a idiot once!  Thanks for your help anyway!  I told him to leave it as it is as it was me who obviously couldn't work the site!  Oops!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

At a guess I would think it's data usage at 1.66 a day + vat. Is your breakdown showing anything in 'things I have bought'? If not you need to query the charges with customer service. 

Message 2 of 14

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Is the vat included in those costs? Still I don't think it quite works out to what you've been charged though, even if you add 20% on top...

I'm inclined to agree that some data usage may have occurred?
Message 3 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Anonymous

You are correct about the 50p connection fee and the charges to send texts. Unless you included any smilies/ emoticons which would have converted them to MMS

I go to Spain frequently and have learnt by trial and error to do certain things with my mobile before I board the plane. I turn voicemail off and also data roaming / mobile data. It is no good waiting till you land. Once you turn your phone on it will connect to data services abroad in the blink of an eye....and you will incur the 1.99 per day data roaming charge.

Having said that and if you are confident you have used nothing you do need to contact CS and query it

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus They should take you through your bill and explain everything (as they did once with me....oh and they were right...):smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 14

MI5
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Click on bills then view latest bill and look in the summary section for anything else listed as charges.

charges1.PNG

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your replies. I'm sure I'll call them and they'll explain but I've rechecked.  Like the screen print above, all it shows is my Tariff Charges, then the £8 charge beside 'Charges when abroad'.  When I check the itemised information every call is charged at £0.41 and every text is charged at £0.04.  There are no more expensive calls or charges listed.

I made sure that data roaming, voicemail and everything was off and the statement confirms that there was no data usage while abroad.

Appreciated.  There'll be an explanation but I can't find it.  Like you say, VAT wouldn't double the costs from £4 to £8, surely.

... Will let you what they say if I ever reach them!  

Carol

Message 6 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi Carol. It  could probably be a billing error. As I said earlier on the thread I had a similar issue with my bill the first time I was abroad with my S3. The customer services staff were excellent when I rang them...agreed a mistake had been made after thoroughly checking my bill. ...They refunded me £12. Best of luck to you..:smileywink:

Incidentally 8.30am is the best time to phone I have found...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Based on your figures above your bill (inc vat) should be £4.78
I can only assume there are some other charges somewhere that we're missing......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have to hold my hands up.  My fault.  Didn't hit 'show more' at text messages.  There were 133 of them!!! Not 38.  Apologies.  A very nice online chat person helped me out and even offered to credit my account with £3 if that helped!  That was unexpectedly kind.  Didn't even call me a idiot once!  Thanks for your help anyway!  I told him to leave it as it is as it was me who obviously couldn't work the site!  Oops!

Message 9 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

How great of you to come back and let us know you are human like the rest of us. LOL...

Thanks for the update Carol...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 14