Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Charged twice for my bill?

My Bill due date says it was 1/5/10 but I pay'd by card on the 29/4/10. I found today I have been charged for my bill through DD. What is happening here? Ive pay'd by card before and not had a problem?
Highlighted
Anonymous

It's because you paid too close the the direct debit date, O2 would have already made a claim for the payment by when you made the payment.
Highlighted
Topics: 573
Solutions: 3,881

You need at least 6 full working days clearance (not inc. weekends and Bank Holidays)
before a DD will adjust. This can be longer with some companies so never pay so close to the due date, or cancel the DD (please be aware this is not advisable).
Highlighted
Anonymous

Yes, what you need to do if you decide to pay early that close to the DD date, you need to contact your bank afterwards to cancel the Direct Debit and avoid it being taken twice. You're account will just be in credit now which you can wait and let it come off your next bill, or give them a ring and get it sent back to your bank account which can take up to 10 days.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Yes, what you need to do if you decide to pay early that close to the DD date, you need to contact your bank afterwards to cancel the Direct Debit and avoid it being taken twice. . . .

That really is the worst piece of advice I have seen on this forum. It completely ignores the serious consequences of cancelling a direct debit.
Highlighted
Topics: 573
Solutions: 3,881

Quite apart from the fact that a DD has to be set up again there is every possibility that this won't be done before the payment is due. Missing a payment can lead to a disastrous effect on your credit rating giving you problems applying for mortgages and credit cards, buying a car etc. Not forgetting you may be without a phone if O2 place a bar on your service.
Don't do it!!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Yes, what you need to do if you decide to pay early that close to the DD date, you need to contact your bank afterwards to cancel the Direct Debit and avoid it being taken twice. . . .

That really is the worst piece of advice I have seen on this forum. It completely ignores the serious consequences of cancelling a direct debit.

Seriously, if you pay early that close to the DD debit being taken out, it's the only thing you as a customer can do to ensure it not to be taken twice. There is nothing stopping a customer ringing back and setting the DD back up after the due date, which allows plenty of time for it to become active again (14 days).
Highlighted
Anonymous

Seriously, if you pay early that close to the DD debit being taken out, it's the only thing you as a customer can do to ensure it not to be taken twice. There is nothing stopping a customer ringing back and setting the DD back up after the due date, which allows plenty of time for it to become active again (14 days).

That's even more astonishing than your previous answer.
Highlighted
Anonymous

That's even more astonishing than your previous answer.

Maybe not what you are wanting to hear, but it is an effective method.

EDIT: Another really good way to avoid double charges is to just not pay early, let the DD do its work.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks for the answers!

Well I don't like the idea cancelling the DD. A mistake on my part, just wanting to get my bill pay'd and cleared!

As long as I can get the money back, I'm happy!