Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for using emojis

JLBS
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’ve just been charged for sending a text message to my sister as if it was an MMS. All I can see is that it has an emoji in it. I’ve sent her loads of texts with emojis before and never been charged, so why now?

I’ve also been charged twice for each text. Once to my sister’s number and again for a number ending in 1234. I only sent it to my sister.

Does anyone know what this is about?
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@JLBS 

See help here Guide: Accidental MMS Sending and How to Avoid it 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@JLBS 

See help here Guide: Accidental MMS Sending and How to Avoid it 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

JLBS
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

Thanks, but it doesn’t explain why I’ve never been charged in the past or why I’ve been charged twice.

The text literally said ‘ok’ with a surfer emoji. How can that exceed the character limit?

That’s really excessive and unfair charging imho.

As a long, long term customer I’m really disappointed by that. Time for a change.
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@JLBS 

It explains that the reason why is because you must have had a subject line included, hence the charge to 1234

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

JLBS
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
There was no subject line. It was sent as a text.

Like I said, I’ve NEVER been charged before so why now?

There’s no warning that you’re going to get charged until it happens. That’s misleading and I can’t believe bodies like Trading Standards or Ofcom would disagree.

You could rack up a really high bill just for not knowing this page on accidental MMS messaging exists.
Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@JLBS 

You could try calling customer service and ask for a refund as it was accidental Guide: How to find help & contact O2 but they would expect you to take steps to avoid it in future.

Use WhatsApp, FB Messenger etc......

Below is a list of reasons why a text message is sent as a MMS (picture message) and how you can avoid this.

1. Text messages to email addresses - Don’t use an email address in the ‘To’ box when creating a text message.

2. Text messages sent to multiple contacts which include email addresses and mobile numbers – Send to mobile numbers only. If you need to send to an email address send it separately.

3. Using subject headers – Don’t use subject headers

4. Contact cards – Don’t send contact cards

5. Long Messages – If you’re sending a message with more than 360 characters, send it as 2 messages. There is a character counter on most phones that you can see when you’re writing a text message.

6. Smiley faces or emoticons – Don’t use smiley faces or emoticons.

7. Sending to more than 25 people – Try breaking the message up into smaller groups

8. Attachments (pictures, videos, sounds, music, drawings and locations) – Don’t add any attachments to the text message.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

JLBS
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks MI5.

I will ring O2, but I think this is terrible so will be taking this elsewhere too. The basic fact is they are baiting customers to use emojis and get charged because they are not up front about what will happen.

I can see many customers have been surprised by this in the past.

What a shocking way to treat honest customers who pay their bills on time.
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Out of interest, what phone are you using @JLBS ?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

JLBS
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have been charged again for sending a picture message to a number ending in 1234 which I don’t recognise. I haven’t sent any pictures, any emojis and my messages have been about 30-50 characters each. Why does O2 keep taking my money?? What loophole have I fallen into now? Disgraceful.
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@JLBS 

Charges to that number would indicate that you have included a subject line in your message.

Check that you have subject line turned off in settings.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10