cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for calls when on unlimited

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm on an unlimited call tarif and have been charged for two calls to this number 07781483303 (its a charity, seems it was when I was setting up gift aid on a donation and must have called back on a missed call).  I'm told it's because it is a  number in the Isle of Wight or channel Isles so counts as 'overseas'.  I did argue the illegitimacy of this given that it's just a standard UK mobile number and I have an unlimited call tarif - I did get a refund. BUT - how on earth can this be justified if we can't tell a UK number from one which incurs a charge? has anyone else come across this?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

It cant be justified.....you cant expect to know where someone is when you dial their number, they may have gone abroad.

If this UK number is abroad, they would pick up the costs for recieving a call.

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

People have been confused over being charged for charity texts before and it obviously compounds the issue if it is Channel Islands which is not classed as part of your texting allowance. 

At least O2 saw sense and refunded the charges. 

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

They were calls not text as I must have returned a call - which I would never do if a number looked "dodgy" but this just looks like a standard UK mobile number doesn't it?

Message 4 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

O2 saw fit a little while ago (as did most networks) to charge for calls that were not part of UK mainland. Charities should really make people aware that calls/texts may incur fees.

Similar thread...

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/calls-to-channel-islands/m-p/558416/highlight/tr...

Message 5 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It is an issue that I raised a while back (and was not answered) as to how customers are to know if it is a number based in the CI or not....?
There should be an automated recording added to any outgoing calls made to CI numbers so the customer knows......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 9

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I think the important point here is :

"I'm told it's because it is a  number in the Isle of Wight or channel Isles so counts as 'overseas'."

Isle of Wight overseas !!!!

C.I. yes as they are not part of UK nor members of the EU. 

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

I think the important point here is :

"I'm told it's because it is a  number in the Isle of Wight or channel Isles so counts as 'overseas'."

Isle of Wight overseas !!!!

C.I. yes as they are not part of UK nor members of the EU. 

I'm sure they will be glad to hear that...Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 9

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

The Peoples Republic of the Isle of Wight has a certain quaintness doesn't it ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 9 of 9