Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing contract name to my name

DC1986
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My sister took out a contract for me in 2016. The account is under her name and I pay for it out of my bank account. I want to put the contract under my name since it is mine but I don't know how to do this because my sister and I are not on speaking terms anymore. I have called O2 a number of times but they said we both have to be there on the phone. Is there any way around this?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@DC1986 

You need to take a new contract in your name and then you can transfer the number to your new account.

Obviously this will require permission from your sister so maybe time to build the bridges?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@DC1986 

You need to take a new contract in your name and then you can transfer the number to your new account.

Obviously this will require permission from your sister so maybe time to build the bridges?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The present account will need to be closed and one taken out in your name.

If it's Refresh then pay the phone off and your sister will need to call O2 to give 30 days notice to end the airtime.

You would then need to pass a credit check.

So, you need to be at least speaking to your sister so that she can do this for you.

I hope it's just a temporary disagreement and that you can make up. After all, Christmas is a family time

Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@DC1986 

Another thought which isn't a direct approach but means you can do it without contact from your sister.

1 - Get a PAYG sim from another network.

2 - Get your PAC from O2 Guide: How to get your PAC [June 2021 Update] 

3 - Port your number to the PAYG sim - your O2 contract has now been terminated.

4 - Apply for your own O2 contract and assuming you pass the credit checks your contract will tart with a new number, but in your name.

5 - Obtain PAC from the PAYG sim.

6 - Port your number bacl into your O2 contract.

As I said, not direct, but avoids contract with the account holder.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That does make it possible @MI5  and it's a good workaround.

I still think making up with sis is a good idea seeing as it's Christmas.santa

Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Totally agree wink

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

djbsuffolk
Level 9: Fired up
  • 140 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

That work around is ingeniuos @MI5 

Message 7 of 7