Did you mean: 

Changing contract holder/upgrading phone

jholl9
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there,

When I was younger and didn't have a full-time job, my mum created a contract with O2 so that I could have a mobile phone. Now I am paying for the contract and it is time for me to upgrade my phone - however, because I am using the same number and the contract is still in my mum's name, I am unable to upgrade my phone without her present. This is a bit of a problem because we are quite far apart geographically and are very rarely in the same place - is there anything that one or both of us can do separately to change the contract to be in my name so that I can upgrade my phone? I have been paying for the contract for the last few years so it shouldn't be too much of a problem - could my mum call up and let O2 know that I am the new account holder?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
What you need to do is get your own contract with a new (temporary) number.
Once you have been accepted, your Mother can call and release the phone number for migration to your new account.
You will then have your own account with your own number and the old account in your Mothers name will be cancelled.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jholl9 No you have both got to be together to do a name change  

Message 2 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
What you need to do is get your own contract with a new (temporary) number.
Once you have been accepted, your Mother can call and release the phone number for migration to your new account.
You will then have your own account with your own number and the old account in your Mothers name will be cancelled.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@jholl9 Be aware that although you've been paying the contract on your present phone, you will be considered a new customer, and O2 will run a full credit check when you take out your new contract. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 5

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @jholl9, and welcome to the forum Wave

Please let us know how you get on with this, and if the advice @Anonymous, @MI5 and @Bambino shared helped you get this sorted or if you need any further info slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 5