cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing an old unused contract phone to Pay As You Go

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I've been an O2 customer for close to 6 years but always on a contract basis (with O2 & other networks previously) and so I've no experience as a Pay as you go phone user.

Since I've gone through a few contracts and a few iPhones, I now have a couple of old handsets in a drawer unused and I would like to turn one of these into a pay as you go handset that my daughter could have as her first phone.

I assume my handset will be locked to O2 and thats no issue as I'm quite content to use an O2 Pay as you go SIM. 

So, my question is : how easy is it to do this? Is it as simple as buying a Pay as you go SIM and inserting this and off you go, or is there more to it? Do I need to contact O2 to do anything specific since the phone has only been used previously when I had a contract for it?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered previously but I could not see an answer from a quick cursory glance.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It really is that simple @Anonymous. 

All you need is to choose the tariff for her and you need to work out if you want to top up every month for allowances. 

Have a look here 

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go/#simtype=bigbundles

It depends on her age and if she wants to use data

If it's just calls and texts the maybe the Classic tariff is best but only you can decide that 😀

Welcome to the community 😊

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It really is that simple @Anonymous. 

All you need is to choose the tariff for her and you need to work out if you want to top up every month for allowances. 

Have a look here 

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go/#simtype=bigbundles

It depends on her age and if she wants to use data

If it's just calls and texts the maybe the Classic tariff is best but only you can decide that 😀

Welcome to the community 😊

Message 2 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Just to add you can order a sim online free or buy from most supermarkets or newsagents. I think they charge a pound unless they have gone up these days. All sims come as a triple option so you just press out the right size. 

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

No you are quite right @jonsie they are still 99p or a £1 depending on the vendor 

Message 4 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Also if you want O2 then Tesco uses that network...and you can buy them there (or those from other networks as well wink

https://www.tesco.com/direct/technology-gaming/pay-as-you-go-sims/cat3376286.cat?source=others

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Also if you want O2 then Tesco uses that network...and you can buy them there (or those from other networks as well wink

https://www.tesco.com/direct/technology-gaming/pay-as-you-go-sims/cat3376286.cat?source=others

And get more for your money. Consider giffgaff too as they also run on the O2 network. 

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks very much for the responses & the help.

Cheers,
Message 7 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

No problem @Anonymous Hope all goes well Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 9

jonsie