cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing account name

Anonymous
Not applicable

My daughters phone and contract is under my name from years ago, however it is her phone and she pays the bills. Her upgrade is not due until end of september 2017, however she needs to get it repaired but cannot do this through her bank as it is under my name. Please can someone advise if it is at all possible to transfer the contract in her name? 

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
No, it isn't possible unfortunately.
It can only be done when upgrading or renewing a contract.
If she is paying for the phone, isn't that enough for her bank to accept it's hers. Can't they see the direct debit going out each month with the account reference number?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
No, it isn't possible unfortunately.
It can only be done when upgrading or renewing a contract.
If she is paying for the phone, isn't that enough for her bank to accept it's hers. Can't they see the direct debit going out each month with the account reference number?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

I'm confused. @Anonymous  Does your daughter have insurance for the phone through her bank? If so, how did her bank insure the phone if it isn't in her name?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

This would be my query @Bambino. The daughters bank has insured the phone therefore the insurance must be in the daughters name. Surely as far as the bank is concerned it's irrelevant whose name is on the contract? If that's an issue.... why did the bank ever insure the phone in the first place? 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Just to add. I have insurance through my bank/building society . It covers every phone in the household. At no point have I ever been asked for contract details of the other family members. The policy is in my name. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 15

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Perhaps @Anonymous can pop back and give us a bit more of an insight to what the bank has said?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 15

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Just to add. I have insurance through my bank/building society . It covers every phone in the household. At no point have I ever been asked for contract details of the other family members. The policy is in my name. 

Have you ever had to make a claim, particularly for a phone that wasn't yours?

Did it go smoothly?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I haven't personally ...but one of my friends has the same type of account with this bank. Her husbands  phone was accidently broken and she claimed on the insurance on his behalf. No problem The only thing we are obliged to do is inform them of any change of device(s) when the policy is renewed annually.  

Edited to add: This a unique type of account. Not everyone would be eligible. I pay £10 a month for all the benefits it comes with. i.e travel insurance, no cost when abroad when using ATM's etc etc

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 15

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Good to know.....

Currently using:
Message 9 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Just edited to add other info....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 15