cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Handset..

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not due to upgrade yet, but I was wondering, 

I need to change my handset, but they said i'd have to change it by buying a payg phone. but I don't want to have to buy the £10 top up.. and seeing as the man in store was rude, i'd like someone to please tell me how I can avoid this £10 top up and change handsets! 

Thanks in advance!

x

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
They would put the £10 onto your account which should offset from your next monthly bill as far as I understand it.

Every time I've gone into an 02 shop and explained I'm on 02 and wanted a new phone they have always waived the top up.

I just showed them my phone with the 02 logo on it and supplied my telephone number. Now the difference with me is I'm on payg.

My advice is to visit an alternative shop or even dare I say it a Carphone Warehouse to try afresh !!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
As I understand it, if you are "upgrading" the £10 top up is at the Store Managers discretion, so you could try explaining to the manager to see if they will waive the top up fee. Otherwise, have you searched for the phone you want to buy as SIM free? It might work out cheaper?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

All I want to do really, is change phones.. 

Pretty much:

Currently: BB 9320

Would Like: Sony Xperia Miro, keep contract going, not pay the £10 top up fee.. 

I've searched for it sim free but it's alot dearer 😞 

Message 3 of 6

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

They're cheaper because they're locked to the network for a year.

It's a bit miserable if they won't do one without the top up, but you could maybe use it up then change it to your contract?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

But how am I supposed to use this £10? I have no use for it nor will I have a phone to use it on :S 

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
They would put the £10 onto your account which should offset from your next monthly bill as far as I understand it.

Every time I've gone into an 02 shop and explained I'm on 02 and wanted a new phone they have always waived the top up.

I just showed them my phone with the 02 logo on it and supplied my telephone number. Now the difference with me is I'm on payg.

My advice is to visit an alternative shop or even dare I say it a Carphone Warehouse to try afresh !!
Message 6 of 6