Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of surname on bank account

Net14
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My surname has changed following divorce.  I have updated my 02 account to my new surname of Thomas however I need to amend the name on the bank account for the DD (the account and sort code all remain the same).

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38267 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

@Net14 - give O2’s customer service team a call on 202 or 0344 809 0202 (or specific Payment management number - 0800 902 0217 ) Good luck!

Message 2 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149041 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28463 Solutions

@Net14 

The name on the bank account is irrelevant.

Only the Account number and sort code is required.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 10

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38267 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

I can think of at least 2 reasons why one should try to keep account names in order:

1. In this case, given circumstances, the name change may be more than a matter of aesthetics, and
  2. changes to banking rules started in 2020 increasingly mean that the name and surname are becoming part of the checks, to reduce chances of mistakes and/or fraud:

"SO HOW DO BANK PAYMENTS WORK NOW? 

Transfers need to cite exactly who money is being sent to. 

If the name entered matches the one registered for that account number and sort code, the payment will go through. 

Spelling mistakes or typos will flag up an alert. This includes abbreviations when it was thought the correct details had been provided. 

For example, paying someone known as Dan Smith whose full bank account name is Daniel Smith may not work. "

With VMO2 moving all users to System 360, who knows what way the developers have interpreted the guidance?

That said, @Net14 - in O2's case, the name may make no odds, as @MI5 indicates above.

Message 4 of 10

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 9098 Posts
  • 207 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@Net14 

I agree with the comments of @pgn. A search for "Confirmation of Payee" leads to articles such as this one for every major UK bank :-  

Confirmation of Payee explained | Nationwide

This could clearly be relevant to other accounts you might have, in addition to that with O2. 

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 149041 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28463 Solutions

In this case where a direct debit is already established, it matters not and will change nothing.

Not once did I say it was applicable to any other situation.

I wish people would read what's written first before adding pointless comments.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 93922 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

In this case where a direct debit is already established, it matters not and will change nothing.

Not once did I say it was applicable to any other situation.

I wish people would read what's written first before adding pointless comments.

Totally agree

It matters not

Bank account and sort code is all that matters

Makes me wonder if people actually read the original answer or whether a comment is designed to further confuse the OP

Message 7 of 10

SarahR2908
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

How did you change your name on the account after divorce? I am trying to do this and bein told i need to change it by deed poll (which costs) although no one else has asked for this and i already have passport and driving license in my maiden name. O2 seem to be refusing to change my name back at the moment

Message 8 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12594 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1153 Solutions

This is from o2 @SarahR2908 

We’ve made it easier for you to change your name on your account. Now you can upload your documents in My O2 so that we can verify the name changes.

Get started by signing into My O2 and select ‘Manage details’ – we’ll send you a one-time access code to your device so you can view and edit your details.

To change your name, select ‘Edit your name’, then enter your new name and upload one of the following documents directly into your My O2 account:

• Marriage certificate
  • Certificate of civil partnership
  • Deed poll
  • Reissued birth certificate showing your old and new name (only in Scotland)

You can then submit the change, and we’ll check your documentation. If everything’s correct, your name will be updated. If you have any issues with requesting a name change, please get in touch.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/changing-personal-details 

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 149041 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28463 Solutions

@SarahR2908 

A copy of your decree absolute is all that is needed.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/changing-personal-details

Message 10 of 10