Did you mean: 

Change name to mine on contract

Bernadett
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hello,

I've been trying to figure this out and search for answers, but they are either outdated, or not relevant to my case.

4 years ago, my partner had to take out a contract at O2, because for some unknown reason I didn't pass the credit checks. I have no clue why, never got an answer. I passed every other credit checks I had in my life, and I have an excellent credit score (same at that time), so it still baffles me why I wasn't accepted.

So the contract is on his name, not mine. But it's my phone, my number, and I am using it on a daily basis.

The device has been paid off 2 years ago. Since then, I have changed my tariff a few times. But they are all pay monthly deals, which all have contractual lengths. The latest one I changed to has 2 years of contract length, ending in late 2023.

Now, my problem is, that I need this contract to be in my name, for several different reasons. But it needs to be on my name, not my partner's. Change of ownership does not seem to apply here, since we would have to pay a hefty price for cancelling the contract that is under his name, since the contract only ends late 2023. So I cannot take a new one under my name, and cancel his.

So my question is, what are my options? How can this be achieved, without having to pay any extras? The only thing that would change is the name, nothing else. I don't want to end my current tariff, I don't want to cancel the contract, I just simply need it to be on my name, instead of his. There must be a way to do this.

Thank you in advance!

Bernadett

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Bernadett
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Also, I would like to emphasise something from my original post:

I understand that credit checks need to be done. That is not the issue. I only added that for background information, as a reason why the contract isn't on my name. And now I cannot edit the original post.

Again, once I receive more information from O2, I will update this post, so others can perhaps benefit from it in the future.

Message 11 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

Don't believe anything live chat tell you!

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 15

Bernadett
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Well, what can I lose by trying?

Message 13 of 15

Bernadett
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

So just as a follow up:

The O2 Customer Services was kind enough to offer a resolution to this matter. I opened a new account under my name, and they will transfer the number without having to pay the early termination fee.

So I guess only solution to the problem: talk to O2 Customer Services, and see what they can come up with to help you, if you are in a similar situation.

Message 14 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Pleased to hear you are sorted @Bernadett. I did advise a chat with CS but didn't expect them to be so accommodating. Good to know.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 15