Did you mean: 

Change name to mine on contract

Bernadett
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hello,

I've been trying to figure this out and search for answers, but they are either outdated, or not relevant to my case.

4 years ago, my partner had to take out a contract at O2, because for some unknown reason I didn't pass the credit checks. I have no clue why, never got an answer. I passed every other credit checks I had in my life, and I have an excellent credit score (same at that time), so it still baffles me why I wasn't accepted.

So the contract is on his name, not mine. But it's my phone, my number, and I am using it on a daily basis.

The device has been paid off 2 years ago. Since then, I have changed my tariff a few times. But they are all pay monthly deals, which all have contractual lengths. The latest one I changed to has 2 years of contract length, ending in late 2023.

Now, my problem is, that I need this contract to be in my name, for several different reasons. But it needs to be on my name, not my partner's. Change of ownership does not seem to apply here, since we would have to pay a hefty price for cancelling the contract that is under his name, since the contract only ends late 2023. So I cannot take a new one under my name, and cancel his.

So my question is, what are my options? How can this be achieved, without having to pay any extras? The only thing that would change is the name, nothing else. I don't want to end my current tariff, I don't want to cancel the contract, I just simply need it to be on my name, instead of his. There must be a way to do this.

Thank you in advance!

Bernadett

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bernadett
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

So just as a follow up:

The O2 Customer Services was kind enough to offer a resolution to this matter. I opened a new account under my name, and they will transfer the number without having to pay the early termination fee.

So I guess only solution to the problem: talk to O2 Customer Services, and see what they can come up with to help you, if you are in a similar situation.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Sorry @Bernadett the only way of doing this is cancelling the contract and taking out a new one in your name. Bear in mind you will have to undergo credit checks which you may fail again.

Your only option is to call O2 with your partner and have a chat with them.

Give O2 a call on 202  or 0344 809 0202.

Or you can message O2 on Facebook ( https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter ( https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram ( https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) but I'm sure their response will be the same as mine.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 15

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Bernadett 

The only way to do this is I am afraid to take out a new contract in your name and pass all credit and affordability checks, and then migrate the old number to the new number, which your partner will need to be on the phone to do. 

You will have to pay off the old contract in full, in order to do this.    

This is due to rules in place to prevent Fraud and to ensure you can afford the bills and for that you have to go through the checks.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 15

Bernadett
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for the answer. But as I mentioned, the problem is that I would have to pay a hefty price for cancelling his contract. I cannot wait until end of 2023 to cancel his and get a new one.

Unfortunately, I have no social media accounts, do they have an email I can write to? I just simply cannot believe that a simply thing like this cannot be done.

Message 4 of 15

Bernadett
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for the answer.

I don't mind the credit checks, and I understand the need. I just find it weird that this cannot be done under the current contract. The price for the contract is quite high, and I don't want to pay it for no reason. The only thing that needs changing is my name, nothing else.

Perhaps another person can be added under the current contract? Then the main person can be taken out? I really need this to be on my name, without having to pay off the huge price for cancelling the contract early. When I don't want to cancel the contract, just want to change the name.

Message 5 of 15

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Bernadett 

There is no email address, and the answer is it can't be done. 

You can't just change who owns the contract.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bernadett 

It's not 'as simple as that'. When people take out a new contract they have to undergo credit checks which is the same with every company. Currently the phone is in your partners name and although you have paid for it, that wont matter to them. As far as they are concerned, it's your partner making payments and it wont matter what you say regarding your involvement. Look at it from O2's perspective. Anyone could say the same as you and lie about it, so they change the name and the new person defaults.  A new person has to take out a new contract. That's the law as you are signing a credit agreement.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 15

Bernadett
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I understand that I need to go through credit checks, and I don't have a problem with that. I don't want to defraud the company, or don't want to pull any weird stuff. I am willing to go through anything they would need as if I was opening a new contract. I don't understand why is there no process for this to change ownership of a contract. The same process could easily be applied, I could go through a credit check, sign essentially a new credit agreement, that takes my partner off.

I understand your answers, and thank you for your time. I am just frustrated that this cannot be done, and don't understand why (I explained my reasoning above). I need the contract to be under my name, cannot wait until 2023, and I am now either stuck with his name, which would severly impact my current situation, or having to pay a hefty fine for cancelling his contract early.

Message 8 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Bernadett 

Why not just get the cheapest sim only in your name from O2 for now (so you have an account in your name) then migrate your number to it in 2023 when your current contract ends?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 15

Bernadett
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for the answer.

I don't want to pay unnecessarily. I find it pointless to get a contract now, and pay for both, for no reason at all. I would need one account on my name only. I am not going to pay for both, it's pointless. It is essentially the same as just paying off the fine for early termination.

However, I had a live chat with an O2 advisor, and she told me we can call 202 together with my partner, and they can assist with this. Once we have time off together, we will try that and see if that is indeed the way.

I will keep this post updated, so perhaps it can help others in the future as well.

Message 10 of 15