Did you mean: 

Change in tariff whilst abroad

Zuzka
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello

I have an option to upgrate my tariff and considering that there is noone in O2 I can really get in touch I'd like to see if anyone can help.

I "fled" the UK and currently in Slovakia (EU country) and I see that I have an upgrade options for my sim that I could potentioanlly use.

1) Is it safe to upgrade now my tarffif (of course no sim replacement) as I will stay here for as long as corona lasts. (I'm estimating till September). I don't want to upgrade and my phone will suddenly stop working for half a year. So I'm pretty worried about taking that action

2) In terms of the tariffs. The way I understand it - is that when they say e.g. 100 GBP data tariff for 20 GBP - really means 20 GBP + a VAT? so it will be more than that? e.g. 20 + 4 VAT = £24 GBP 

- is that the correct logic?

3) Also, when they say Ends 13th May - that does mean that the offer ends, correct? Not that the e.g. 100 GB data allowance ends. 

Many thanks, I'm just trying to cover myself on all fronts before I make any next step.

Many thanks for your help.

Best

Zuzana 

Message 1 of 29
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Zuzka 

1) Yes you can upgrade but you have to remember that O2 have a fair usage policy so you may find it stops working after 3 months (as you are out of the UK)

2)  Vat is included so you would pay £20

3) It means the offer ends on May 13th

However if I were you and if your phone is unlocked, I would seriously think about using a local sim. No point in upgrading if your phone dies after 3 months.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Zuzka 

1) Yes you can upgrade but you have to remember that O2 have a fair usage policy so you may find it stops working after 3 months (as you are out of the UK)

2)  Vat is included so you would pay £20

3) It means the offer ends on May 13th

However if I were you and if your phone is unlocked, I would seriously think about using a local sim. No point in upgrading if your phone dies after 3 months.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 29

Zuzka
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello @Cleoriff 

Thanks a lot for a quick response! 

1) it's a fair point. However, is it you reckon a problem even though I'm paying for it? You think they'd stop my sim? I try to use home wifi anyways but sometimes its not that great. 

2) and if I upgrade now - do you think I will not have any issues with my phone i.e. sim - as I don't think I will be able to easily replace it.

I kind of have SK O2 - just lost the sim so I cannot really use it and everything is closed. haha - what a lovely corona world! grin 

Thanks a lot!

Zuzana

Message 3 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Zuzka 

The thing is restrictions are placed on usage abroad (unless you are in the EU) purely as it's meant for holidaymakers. O2 feel that 3 months is an acceptable amount of time.

During this current period of uncertainty I wouldn't be making tariff changes particularly whilst abroad. If anything went wrong you could find yourself in an awkward position. Just wait a few weeks and see if the situation improves. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 29

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Zuzka 

The thing is restrictions are placed on usage abroad (unless you are in the EU) purely as it's meant for holidaymakers. O2 feel that 3 months is an acceptable amount of time.

During this current period of uncertainty I wouldn't be making tariff changes particularly whilst abroad. If anything went wrong you could find yourself in an awkward position. Just wait a few weeks and see if the situation improves. 

Exactly that ^^^

Message 5 of 29

Zuzka
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK, I'm in the Europe.

The only reason why I had entertained this would be as I'm paying basically £20 for 15GB and I could update it to £100 GBP for the same price.

However, I do want my phone working when I make the change, so if I understand both of the recommendations correctly @jonsie @Cleoriff  I should not try to change the tariff abroad but rather wait just in case.

Message 6 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Zuzka 

It's entirely up to you. However, systems are running slow, many problems have been reported and if I was abroad, I wouldn't be doing it yet.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 29

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

When do you get back to the UK? If you are merely upgrading I don't think you will have a problem in the EU as the change is done on O2's system. Your sim doesn't change. 

Personally, thinking about it now, I would do the upgrade now.

Message 8 of 29

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I've changed mine when abroad and it's gone through perfectly fine.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Lol, so that's one for and one against. Over to you @Zuzka yahoo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 29