Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change bill payer to son

NoelDuke
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have three phones, one of which is my sons. I have always paid this but as he is now working I want to put his phone bill in his name. He would want the same number and deal I have for the phone. Could someone please advise how i get this sorted. 

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@NoelDuke  You can't do that unfortunately.  He can pay for the phone if you change bank details in his name but as you have 3 phones this would need a call to O2 Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

If he wants a phone in his name then you would need to pay off the contract in full and your son would then need to apply for a contract in his name and undergo credit checks. If he is accepted you could then ask O2 to transfer the number to his name.

If this is an option then again you need to call O2 (you and your son together)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@NoelDuke  You can't do that unfortunately.  He can pay for the phone if you change bank details in his name but as you have 3 phones this would need a call to O2 Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

If he wants a phone in his name then you would need to pay off the contract in full and your son would then need to apply for a contract in his name and undergo credit checks. If he is accepted you could then ask O2 to transfer the number to his name.

If this is an option then again you need to call O2 (you and your son together)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23060 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@NoelDuke In order for your son to keep the number in his name he would have to take out his own contract, which would be subject to a credit check. When that happens you can call customer service and transfer the number to his name. You would both need to be on the call. Alternatively you could go in store, bringing identification with you, if you have one nearby. He would also have to take a new tariff with the new contract, so it's unlikely that he would be able to retain the same deal you have.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 6

NoelDuke
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for responding. I'll just get him to set up a BSO to pay me. He owns the handset, it's a sim only contact..

Message 4 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23060 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@NoelDuke Just be aware that whether it's a sim only, or Refresh contract with a phone he would have to apply for the contract himself, if he wants the number he's currently using in his name.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@NoelDuke wrote:

Thanks for responding. I'll just get him to set up a BSO to pay me. He owns the handset, it's a sim only contact..

That seems the best option until the contract ends @NoelDuke 

Then your son can apply for his own contract subject to the usual credit checks.

Best of luck 👍

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 6