Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Name on Account

June126
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My husband bought me my first mobile when this was BT Cellnet and so the account has his name on it.  I used to have a password that I could give whoever I was talking to in order to deal with the account.  Now that doesn't exist any more and I can't get it changed into my name.  My husband won't deal with it as it is my phone.  I don't know what to do.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

KingAmo
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 287 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 30 Solutions
@June126
Hi as far as I know it is very difficult to get your name changed on an account.
So first I have two options, go with your husband to your local O2 store as they've opened, go with your IDs too and ask if they may possibly help you. If your husband is there and he agrees to it, there is no reason why they won't.

Alternatively you can call customer service to change the name for you. That also your husband much be with you when you make the call. But I'm not sure if that may work well.

I hope this little helps
Message 2 of 8

KingAmo
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 287 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 30 Solutions

June126
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your reply, I'll try the things you suggest.  I am still isolated being old with medical conditions so I can't get out to the O2 shop in town at the moment.   I am eager to sort this because I received a message saying my device bill was overdue which I do not understand.  All my bills to  O2 for the last 15+ years have been paid by direct debit and the airtime bill went out ok.  There was more than enough money in the account to cover it.  I made a payment but I need to do something to make sure it doesn't happen again next month and in order to do that I need to be able to talk to them. 

Message 4 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144193 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions

@June126 

That message is a scam and not from O2. 

It is very common and has been reported many times on here. 

Ignore it, block the number and if you can, forward it to 7726 for O2 to investigate..

If you entered any details on the link you need to change your password and inform your bank immediately.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122828 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@June126 

That message is a scam and not from O2. 

It is very common and has been reported many times on here. 

Ignore it, block the number and if you can, forward it to 7726 for O2 to investigate..

If you entered any details on the link you need to change your password and inform your bank immediately.

@June126 

Exactly as @MI5  said. Absolutely awful that they are targeting peope like yourself and causing such concern. Follow the advice he has given

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 144193 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions

@June126 

Please do it immediately.

I cannot stress this enough.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 8

bigdavie88
Level 9: Fired up
  • 144 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 14 Solutions
In regards to changing the name on account as far as Im aware this can only happen when the account holder passes away and the bereavement team action the change.

If you want the number in your name I would suggest waiting til the contract ends and take out a new contract in your own name with a new number.

You then call o2 with your husband present at same time and request they migrate the number from the account is your husbands name to the new account in your name.

This in turn will end the contract in your husbands name.
Message 8 of 8