Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carphone warehouse contacted me about upgrade

Charlieboyoo
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 284 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 6 Solutions
Yesterday I received a call from a Belfast number yesterday and they said they are calling on behalf of carphone warehouse.Then they said you are eligible for an upgrade.i asked how did they get my details cause I always deal with o2 direct and they couldn't answer me.Then they tried to offer me a phone.i said I can get it cheaper elsewhere and they said sure you can return it within 14 days!i said I'm nit interested.wouldnt get the hint.Who handed my details out?I never agreed for details to be passed to a third party.
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Charlieboyoo
  • 284 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 6 Solutions
It's a total joke.I hope Toby gets answers.Cause I never agreed to hand out my details.They knew my name and all.breach of confindiality
Message 21 of 42

Charlieboyoo
  • 284 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 6 Solutions
Well I'm not letting it go.i will submit a complaint and see how it goes.
Message 22 of 42

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's been looked into - This appears to have affected many, many customers - totally unacceptable.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 42

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

The problem for you, @Charlieboyoo, is that you weren't aware that you had to manually go in and change your preferences to opt out. We've seen many posts like this before. O2 have them all turned to YES as the default, but they don't tell you that. By all means make a complaint, though.

What many are complaining about here, and in the other thread that has been started this morning, is that they DID opt out, but somehow that has been changed without their knowledge, and many people are now receiving junk calls where they weren't previously.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 24 of 42

Charlieboyoo
  • 284 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 6 Solutions
Thanks,well I've been with o2 for years and I've never had this happen before.as you mentioned I was never aware or did I agree to this.
Message 25 of 42

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That's the whole point, no one has agreed to this if they specifically changed their preferences.

Message 26 of 42

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Charlieboyoo It's actually good that you highlighted the problem, as it spurred others to check their settings because they had been receiving unwanted calls and couldn't figure out why. So a well done to you!:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 27 of 42

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
@jonsie it's almost unbelievable except it's O2 we're dealing with, who seem really adept at screwing up as often as humanly possible. I'm mostly quite lenient in my tolerance for O2 glitches/screw-ups but this seems to be a massive step too far!!

I'm now seriously considering changing my number, which is a complete farce of a sitch to be in. Also possibly paying my device off early and jumping ship... It's that serious imo and my faith in O2s ability to keep my private data safe is now non existent 😤😡
Message 28 of 42

Charlieboyoo
  • 284 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 6 Solutions
Thanks,well the reason I made a post about this was because I knew that I would get good reliable advice or a solution to my incident.The hilarious parts where they weren't even offering a good deal.im tempted in changing network.Just not sure 🤔
Message 29 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Charlieboyoo wrote:
Thanks,well the reason I made a post about this was because I knew that I would get good reliable advice or a solution to my incident.The hilarious parts where they weren't even offering a good deal.im tempted in changing network.Just not sure 🤔

I thank you for posting @Charlieboyoo. It gave us all reason to check our own preferences...and put the cat among the pigeons..(as it were) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 42