cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot upgrade from Dubai....HELP!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in Dubai, and trying to upgrade my refresh plan. A new phone and a new tarrif.

I have tried phoning O2, getting a link from them and then trying to pay the upfront cost. I have tried 4 different cards on 4 seperate occassions, and each time it will not accept the card, saying there is an error.

I have checked with my bank, and there is no block or any problem with any of the cards, as they have been used on other sites to pay bills and used in restaurants as well. I have tried doing it soley online and get the same problem.

O2 as usual are as unhelpful as normal, and say they won't take the upfront payment over the phone.

Even the hated verification final page is no problem, all passwords work elsewhere, and are correct.

does anyone have any ideas?

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
I feel the issues is that you are trying to pay with a UK Card, from a UAE IP Address, which unfortunately on most payment systems will score as a high risk of being a fraudulent transaction. It all depends on how risk averse the business you are buying from are.

Anything that requires a new credit agreement will flag. i would assume..
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

They can be a bit funny about accepting cards not registered to a UK address.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think its more than likely that you are trying to take out a new contract on a UK phone whilst abroad.

We hear of people having problems when they try to do this.

Is there a family member in the UK who could complete the transaction for you...and then maybe send the phone to you once it is activated?

I wont give you the links to contact CS as you have already phoned them but I cant think of any other reason you are having the problem?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I live in the uk, I am on holiday and all of my cards are registered to my UK address.
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
As I have just replied, I live in the uk, and I am simply on holiday here in Dubai. O2 have said there should be no problem, but as I have always found with them, the simple solution of taking payment for the upfront cost over the phone, is something they will not do.
Message 5 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I live in the uk, I am on holiday and all of my cards are registered to my UK address.

Ok...so if you are on holiday I honestly think it would be best to wait until you get back home?. It seems you will continue to have problems. Remember also there is a limit on the amount of times a card can be refused for a transaction. This will be registering on your account.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any links you have, or any email point of contacts would be helpful, as O2 themselves are being totally unhelpful.
Many thanks.
Message 7 of 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

All the links are in "Contact us" at the foot of the page.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've come to the same conclusion, waiting until I get home. My bank have said that the problem is with the systems of O2, and no refusals are actually showing up their end. I have used the card for other transactions whilst here, and online.
Message 9 of 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

You could try these numbers...but honestly? ...I would wait until you get home...and enjoy Dubai wink

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

This is the number to phone from abroad.....(for pay monthly customers...)
From abroad +44 3448090202 Free†

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 14