cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect on PAYG Mobile Broadband

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm using a DELL D620 notebook which has an integrated SIM slot. I'm running Windows 7. I've fitted DELL's 5540 mini PCI-e WWAN card, and inserted my o2 PAYG mobile broadband sim. I've put £2 on the SIM, giving me 200MB for up to 24 hours, just so I can test this thing out. I've got DELL's Mobile Broadband Manager software installed, the SIM is recognised, I can, and have, recieved SMS messages on my laptop through the sim, as this is how I received confirmation of my topup. However -- I cannot connect via mobile broadband! Every time I hit the "connect" button, it tries to connect for a while, before stopping without giving a reason why it failed to connect.

If I try and connect via Windows rather than through the DELL software, it says "Connection failed", and if I view the troubleshooter, it tells me that "The mobile broadband network connection operation (context activation) failed with error code 0". What does this mean?

Any ideas on how I can get this thing working?

Message 1 of 35
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all your help on here, much more helpful than the live support people, who insisted the sim would not work in anything apart from an iPad...

The APN that worked was m-bb.o2.co.uk, username "o2bb", password "password". These were not the settings being pulled off the sim by my laptop though. I've stored all the possible APN's as alternative settings, and just made the m-bb.o2.co.uk profile the active one.

It was a mix of things that prevented it from working... incorrect APN and settings pulled from the sim, a requirement to activate the sim in a phone before putting it into the laptop (I guess dongles are capable of activating sims, whereas laptop hardware is not), and also a reboot required, as there is a quirk in the hardware that doesn't allow it to "wake up" or change settings without a reboot in between.

View solution in original post

Message 34 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you configured the software to connect to O2?

Message 2 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
It configured itself from the sim. APN, username and password are all there.
Message 3 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did it put the correct APN in?  Sometimes it can pull the wrong ones.

Message 4 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
APN is mobile.o2.co.uk
Message 5 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having a quick search around it seems people are using the below on the same card:

APN: wap.o2.co.uk
Username: o2wap
Password: password

Message 6 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
APN is mobile.o2.co.uk

I think that is for pay monthly only

Also try:

APN : payandgo.o2.co.uk
Username : payandgo
Password : password

Message 7 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just tried those settings, no joy.
Message 8 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just tried both o2wap settings and payandgo settings, no luck with either.
Message 9 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Strange, do you have a mobile you can try the sim in?  Seems very likely the data is somehow not active as one of those APN's should work.

Message 10 of 35