Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling new contract but keeping 4 year old number

SHOUT
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all. I have been with 02 for nearly 4 years now and today decided to upgrade from an iPhone 6 to XR. I am having second thoughts and wondered if I cancelled within the 14 days cancellation period can I still  request my PAC code/ old phone number if I go to a sim only deal elsewhere? Or will I lose my phone number? Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@SHOUT get your PAC before you cancel and it will be valid for 30 days.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-to-get-your-PAC-2017-Update/ba-p/1052278

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

SHOUT
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, but what happens then? Let's say I get my PAC code then cancel my new contract (because I have 14 days from today). Do I then 'own' the phone number if I can sign up to another company immediately? In normal circumstances I would need to give o2 30 days notice of my wish to take my number elsewhere. I hope this makes sense!

Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to use the PAC within the 14 days otherwise additional charges will start to accrue

Message 4 of 14

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@SHOUT

You never "own" a number. You only use it, but you can use your PAC at anytime. There's no need to wait the 30 day notice period to move as O2 will just add the remaining days to your final bill which is generated when you use the PAC.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SHOUT

You never own the phone number, you need to obtain the SIM from the new provider and then give them the PAC within the 14 days, otherwise you'll be outside the 'cooling off' period and you'll be charged as @MI5 has stated.

Oh and don't terminate any DD instruction with your bank, let O2 collect any final billed charges using it otherwise you might find a default added to your credit report.

Message 6 of 14

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@SHOUT

You never own the phone number, you need to obtain the SIM from the new provider and then give them the PAC within the 14 days, otherwise you'll be outside the 'cooling off' period. 

No need to port out within 14 days at all. 

The OP already is in contract with O2 for a number of years. It's only the upgrade that needs cancelling within 14 days.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SHOUT

You never own the phone number, you need to obtain the SIM from the new provider and then give them the PAC within the 14 days, otherwise you'll be outside the 'cooling off' period. 

No need to port out within 14 days at all. 

The OP already is in contract with O2 for a number of years. It's only the upgrade that needs cancelling within 14 days.

@MI5

Oh right misread.

Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No worries mate wink

Currently using:
Message 9 of 14

SHOUT
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5so if I return the phone to the shop tomorrow my contract returns to the old deal? And in theory I have all the time in the world to switch to sim only elsewhere? Sorry if I mislead anyone but I was confused myself

Message 10 of 14