Did you mean: 

Cancelling Contract

Jess23
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

My current contract ends 01/05/2018. I have found a good o2 deal I want on a third party website which o2 unfortunately aren't able to match as an upgrade.

I want to cancel my current contract a month early and take out the new one.

I have done an o2 chat and the advisor wasn't able to help - gave me 3 different early cancellation charges ranging from £30 to £112!! And he was unable to advise as to how I can give notice/cancel my current contract.

Anyone have any idea what I need to do? I had hoped to be able to sign up to the new deal this weekend so I don't miss it but the o2 advisor has got me even more confused and I don't want to end up stuck with 2 contracts.

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
How to cancel here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/hig... but if you cancel now you will lose your number.
If you want to retain your number, you will need to keep your current contract until you get the new one, then just migrate the number which will close the old one immediately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

Jess23
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the replies, I will have a look through the links.

I am not bothered about keeping the number.
Message 4 of 13

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Keeping your number guarantees closure of your old contract though. Just something to keep in mind.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 13

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Just be aware that buying from a third party means you will be on a standard 24 month contract as Refresh is only available from O2.

Message 6 of 13

Jess23
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes I am aware. the current contract was through a third party too and I have been pretty happy with it.

presumably if they confirm the cancellation and I give notice that should just cancel the contract? especially if I have set up a new o2 contract?
Message 7 of 13

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Keep an eye on My O2,  That should certainly cancel your contact but don't cancel any direct debit until your account is zero. 

Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Setting up a new contract will not cancel your old one automatically.
Many people have multiple contracts so that wouldn't be a trigger for O2.
You need to check especially (more so) if not transferring your number.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 13

Jess23
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

quick update on this that others may find useful.

I did a live chat today to cancel my current contract ready to take out a new one.

The advisor was really helpful and actually suggested migrating my current pay monthly contract onto a pay as you go (as I didn't want to switch number onto new contract) which would automatically cancel the contract when the change happens in a few days, and allows me to keep the pay as you go SIM as a spare if required.

Seemed like a good option so I went for that. It is due to switch later in the week so I will update if there are any issues but this may be a good options for others in my position near the end of their contract as it avoids cancellation fees.
Message 10 of 13