cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel contract but keep number?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

Long story short... I currently have an o2 refresh contract that I upgraded to in April of this year.

I've just received a company iPhone and am wondering if I can cancel my current contract and transfer my number onto its sim card which is also on o2?

I'll have the remainder of my device plan to pay off which is fine however where do I stand with the airtime tariff?

Any clarity appreciated!

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Pay off the device plan and just walk away from the airtime contract no problem.

You might want to talk to your company about their choice of phone though.....LOL

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol thanks! Smiley Very Happy

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get stung when I treid to cancel the airtime plan!

Message 3 of 10

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 144205 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
jonsie is totally correct, however, we have had a few reports lately whereby O2 have messed up and charged a cancellation fee too.
Whilst this will obviously be returned, as it is an error, you would be wise to keep your eye on your account just to be sure it's all gone OK slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Maybe I'm having a dumb day, but if the OP pays off the device and cancels the airtime, how does he transfer the number onto another O2 sim? He won't have a contract any more.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 144205 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
The number transfer would have to be done after paying off the device plan which would then automatically cancel the original airtime contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

Bambino
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Ah, okay. I thought that if he transferred the number onto another sim, the airtime from the original contract would transfer with it.

Don't mind me. I was up unusually early for me today. I'm tired. Spaced

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 144205 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Yeah, I can see where you are going but that would only happen if you did a sim swap.
CS would have to do the number transfer as this cannot be done online..... slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 9 of 10

Bambino
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Got it. Hope the OP does too. slight_smile

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 10