Did you mean: 

Cancel Contract taken out for someone else

MichaelMichaels
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,

My sister took a pay monthly contract out for her then boyfriend and he was paying the monthly bill. Since now separating he is refusing to pay the bill or return the phone. Is there a way of transferring the contract over to him or getting him to return the device?

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

REport the phone lost/stolen

You will still have to pay the contract but the boyfriend won't be able to use the phone or the contract

A new sim will be sent to the account holder

Guide: Lost or Stolen O2 Device? - How to Report it 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@MichaelMichaels 

Unfortunately not and as the responsible person is your sister, she is liable for all bills.

A lesson as to why not to take a contract for someone else.

All she can do is terminate it when the contract term is complete Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

REport the phone lost/stolen

You will still have to pay the contract but the boyfriend won't be able to use the phone or the contract

A new sim will be sent to the account holder

Guide: Lost or Stolen O2 Device? - How to Report it 

Message 3 of 4

GreenBadger
Level 4: Observant
  • 34 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Sadly what the others have said is true. O2 will only allow a transfer of ownership if the device plan is paid off or the regular plan is out of contract. I do know other networks do allow this as I’ve done it myself on EE when I had a plan for my ex’s sister and got it transferred to my ex when we broke up.

Jonsie’s suggestion would mitigate some of the loss if your sister or anyone else in the family could make use of the SIM. The ex boyfriend may also become minded to return the device then as it will be a very nice paperweight once blocked with the network 

Message 4 of 4