cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't upgrade from sim-only deal

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Three months ago I went to a store and asked whether I can go with 1-month pay monthly contract and transfer my existing prepaid number. I was told that it's better to go with 12 months sim-only deal (I told them that I am looking forward to iPhone 6 and that's why I don't want a long-term contract) as I can upgrade anytime so it should be super easy to do it online once iPhone is revealed (just to clarify - I exactly asked about pre-ordering ability).

Two weeks ago, totally by a mistake, I checked my upgrade options and ended up with a notice saying "Check again after 21 September". Weird, I said.

One week ago, I went to a store to replace my broken SIM card with a new one. I exactly said that I do want to replace the broken SIM card. Not sure why I had to sign up a new agreement once again, but now my upgrade date is by the end of Decemeber. Under My o2 there is a 'recent order' that I've done exactly the same day I replaced my card, but it gives me no idea what it means.

How is that possible?

Is there any possibility to unlock that online ability to upgrade so I can pre-order tomorrow? If not - I will probably buy it directly from Apple and look somewhere else for so-called 'better experience'.

Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Your best option would be to speak to customer service. Normally you can upgrade anytime with the 12 month simplicity deals. They can override the date showing in My O2. More info from an O2 employee here:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Upgrade-anytime-with-12-month-Simplicity/m-p/357...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Your best option would be to speak to customer service. Normally you can upgrade anytime with the 12 month simplicity deals. They can override the date showing in My O2. More info from an O2 employee here:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Upgrade-anytime-with-12-month-Simplicity/m-p/357...

Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for such a quick answer. Now everything is clear and I am in love with O2 again. I am on a 20 pounds tarrif but I hope it's not the one described there (I wasn't re-contracting). I will call customer service tomorrow morning and I hope we gonna sort that out. So it means that the only way to pre-order iPhone6 is to wait till Friday morning and do that over the phone? (It's almost impossible I guess) Or can they magically overwrite My o2 data to allow that?

Message 3 of 23

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

I'm fairly sure that tariff was no longer available when you took out the sim only deal so you should be ok.

I'm not sure if they can alter it in My O2 but they will be able to clarify the pre-order process for you.

Give them a call and let us know how you get on.

Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do! Thank you very much @jonsie for your help!

Message 5 of 23

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

It seems that when you do a SIM swap it shows up as an order. I noticed the same after having a replacement SIM not long back.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 6 of 23

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
That's strange, I've not noticed it show up in "My Orders" before so maybe a new thing...?
Not sure why you had to sign a new agreement either?
Have you got a copy of the agreement, if so, what does it say?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE

Spoke to the guys via chat and they told my that I've upgraded on 3/09/2014 (replacement date) and I can cancel my contract now within 14 days (super werid, I am on that plan since June, so it's quite weird).
Is this a normal practice to do an upgrade when somebody replaces his card? It feels that somebody lied to me about that because I didn't mean to upgrade by replacing my SIM. Really unhappy now. They told me that I can cancel my contract today and go with a new iPhone later today on a new tariff. Quite tricky to keep my mobile number the same. 

@MI5it's literally the same paper I received the first time, with my tariff details written down by a cashieer. Don't know if I should make a complaiment or something as it doesn't seem to be a 'fair clear policy'. And, if I can cancel within 14 days after replacing my card, then -> it's even worse for o2 actually.

UPDATE 2

After a while the same guy told me that I can't upgrade earlier than 3 months since signing up a new contract so another not-informed worker I think. Should I call o2 directly or visit store to do that? 

UPDATE 3

After pointing him to this topic here, he told me that I can upgrade ANYTIME. After I asked him whether they can alter my o2 settings, he told me that I can upgrade within 3 months. Really?!

-- being transferred to a manager now --

Manager says impossible, 3 months minimum stay.

Message 8 of 23

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
That's what I was worried about when you said you had signed an agreement.
If I was been cynical I'd say someone in the shop pulled a fast one to meet sales targets there so I'd raise a complaint http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
There is no need to sign an agreement for a sim swap and the rules for SIMO contracts are usually upgrade after 3 months, but O2 should over rule this for you as they have deceived you in store......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 23

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

I would definitely go with a complaint. There is definitely no need to renew a contract when changing sim so it was very sharp practice by the store.

Message 10 of 23