cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive calls or texts on 4G Connection??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

I upgraded my old iPhone to a new one (iPhone 5S 16GB Gold Pay Monthly) this March. For some reason from yesterday (haven’t dropped the phone or spilt anything on it) I can’t receive calls (goes straight to voicemail) or receive texts while I have a 4G connection – I can however make calls and receive/send Mobile Data. If I turn Mobile Data off or if I am on 3G/2G connection (turn off 4G) I can receive calls/make calls/receive texts/send texts/receive and send Mobile Data. I don’t know how being on 4G connection doesn’t allow me to receive calls or texts??

I went to the Apple Store today and they ran a diagnostic but couldn’t find anything wrong with the phone. They said to check with O2 and if they find no problems I should come back to the Apple Store so they can run more tests. I went to the O2 Store today and they did basic some checks and found no problems as well. I have an appointment tomorrow with an O2 Guru so they can do more tests.

I restored my phone last night and did some resets on network, etc, but to no avail. I also have the latest phone/carrier updates.

The phone is under warranty and I also have insurance. I searched online and I couldn’t find anything on this issue. Does anyone here have an idea on this?

Many thanks,

E

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Must just be me then
Message 11 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

No problems for me here, but as you don't officially have 4g you can't really complain tongue

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 18

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been in areas over the last few days that do officially have 4g, especially today, and the issue persisted in places. Not everywhere but in places.
Message 14 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

My iPhone 6 has has stopped making or receiving calls when in 4G mode. Numerous chats with o2 no one has a clue, new sim, all the resets and still the same. Signal is great on 2,3 and 4G say o2. How come when I am out of my area there is not a problem making or receiving calls in 4G mode. At Home 5bars signal in 2G but drops to 3bars in 4G mode. What is o2 hiding.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I upgraded my old iPhone to a new one (iPhone 5S 16GB Gold Pay Monthly) this March. For some reason from yesterday (haven’t dropped the phone or spilt anything on it) I can’t receive calls (goes straight to voicemail) or receive texts while I have a 4G connection – I can however make calls and receive/send Mobile Data. If I turn Mobile Data off or if I am on 3G/2G connection (turn off 4G) I can receive calls/make calls/receive texts/send texts/receive and send Mobile Data. I don’t know how being on 4G connection doesn’t allow me to receive calls or texts??

I went to the Apple Store today and they ran a diagnostic but couldn’t find anything wrong with the phone. They said to check with O2 and if they find no problems I should come back to the Apple Store so they can run more tests. I went to the O2 Store today and they did basic some checks and found no problems as well. I have an appointment tomorrow with an O2 Guru so they can do more tests.

I restored my phone last night and did some resets on network, etc, but to no avail. I also have the latest phone/carrier updates.

The phone is under warranty and I also have insurance. I searched online and I couldn’t find anything on this issue. Does anyone here have an idea on this?

Many thanks,

E

Message 15 of 18

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can't make calls over 4g. The phone should automatically switch to 2g or 3g to make or receive calls.
Make sure you're not locked onto 4g only.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 18

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous

I have a similar issue if at home and on wifi and you do not need 4g (data only) I would revert to 3g/2g switch on an Iphone mine always drops calls or straight to voice mail as the 2g is stronger but the iphone (and most smatphone) look for fastest data speed on mobile network.

Either poor handover to calls on the iphone or network. 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 17 of 18

Ed3925
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous

Hi,

Might be worth double-checking your settings. 

Go Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Enable 4G

Set it to Data Only, not Voice & Data

On O2, the phone will always need to drop down to 2G or 3G in order to make or receive calls.  Voice calls over 4g (called VoLTE) are only available on Three UK, and as of recently, EE. 

Whatever the settings, the phone *should* drop down to 2G or 3G automatically when you're on a network which does not support 4g calling.  Even so, I thought it was worth a mention, just in case it solves your problem.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Message 18 of 18