Did you mean: 

Can't make international calls

Missyc1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi

I rang o2 from the UK to ask them to ensure that I can use my phone whilst in Australia. They said that this had been activated and that I would be charged a standard rate each day. Fair enough. I am now in Melbourne and am unable to text or make calls. Really annoying!! I have the data switched on plus data roaming. Any suggestions other than switch provider please? Thanks
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Try customer service again using live chat off this link http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Try customer service again using live chat off this link http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope you are enjoying the crystal blue waters out there in Ausie roaming roaming land @Missyc1

Is your handset getting a signal for data on 3g or 4g can you access web pages outside of wifi? If so it means your travel day rate pack is activated or your phone is connecting regardless and you should be able to call and text. So you could try manually selecting the network - go into network settings under calls or phone and try a different network . Then try to make a local call just to a landline to see if that works, the hotels reception desk or similar.

If it's not getting any sort of signal on any network then you have no option but to try Customer Service. IF all else fails and your phone is unlocked then get a local sim. 

You might be able to call your own number from another phone and forward your number, using codes or in voicemail but that will be seriously expensive if you get lots of calls, so think carefully. Alternatively change your message giving your temporary number and give callers the option instead.

Message 3 of 7

Missyc1
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks! Will do. They are offline at the moment though :0 (
Message 4 of 7

Missyc1
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi! Thanks for replying :0) about to go out exploring. Beautiful day in Melbourne!

I can't access the Internet without WiFi so looks like it's a data issue. The chat option with o2 is offline at the minute but will try and contact them. I've checked my account online though and they have added the correct option to my package for travel outside Europe and uk. Strange!
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're not getting data, calls or texts you have a network issue. The phone is not connecting to the network, all the travel package does is limits the charges to five pound a day.

Not sure how much help O2 are going to be if & when you chat to them - if you have the Travel package showing your phone is provisioned for roaming (they pretty much all are theses days in any case) I"d tell them you think you have a network problems and get them to talk you through manual network selection..

Enjoy the sunshine @Missyc1 😎

Message 6 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Missyc1  It just sounds as if Customer Services didn't carry out your initial instructions to provision/activate your phone for use when abroad. As said earlier in the thread you need to contact them asap.

They should be open at 8am UK time, however it may be nearer 10am as it's a Sunday and a BH weekend here.

In the interim you could try a manual selection for a different network. Settings> Network>Select Network.

Reboot phone, making sure the network you have chosen is still active. The three main networks are Telstra, Optus and Vodafone

Best of luck and welcome to the forum. Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 7