Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can's activate mobile network

epzcaw22
Level 1: Joiner
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am in the US and have been using my iphone since getting here using both network and wifi without any problems until this morning.  Now, I cannot access data except by wifi even though I have a 3G signal on the phone through T-mobile - I get a message saying "Can't activate mobile network".   I don't seem to be able to connect to any other service.

I tried to phone O2 using the international number.  When I get through, it asks me to input 1 or 2, but doesn't recognise it when I do.

No "Chat" agent is available.  It appears to be impossible to make contact with O2.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Try simply rebooting the phone, removing and replacing sim and a manual network selection.
It's possibly a local network fault you are experiencing but also try resetting your network settings to check.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

epzcaw22
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your help.

I've tried that with no success.  I should have said that ny  husband is having the same problem with his phone.

We can't connect to any other network manually - don't know why.

I realise it could be a problem with the local network but don't know how to check this.

It is very annoying that O2 does not porivde any means of sending a message electronically, the pone system cannot recognise when I enter a "1" on request, and the "waiting for agent" looks dead,

Glad there are people like you out there to help.

Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
See if you can find a T Mobile store and ask them if they know of any local issues?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

silly question but have you got roaming activated?? when roaming in the states it can be very costly, you may find you have used your data allowance and you may need to buy a bolt on! O2 will automatically cap your data usage to £40 (50 MB) a month whilst you're abroad

Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Do you have O2 Travel enabled?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

epzcaw22
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, I have data roamng activated.  O2 now offers a package where there is a flat rate per day usage.  It all worked fine for two weeks but failed today

Message 7 of 12

epzcaw22
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

We went to a local TMobile store, and they said we could not use a UK sim card on their netowrk.  We pointed out that we had been doing this for two weeks, and had done it many times in the past,  but they simply didn't listen - clearly out of their sphere of understanding.

I also got through to O2 in the UK, and they said there was nothing wrong with the account at their end - said it might be due to the hurricane......

Ended up buying a T-mobile PAYG sim card - have a spare phone so can use this outside when we need data.  Probably not wise!

Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Sounds like a ploy to get you to buy a card off them but the storm is certainly a viable suggestion.
It won't be a data cap if you are on o2 travel though.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 12

epzcaw22
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, we are on O2 travel.

Maybe a ploy, but seemed more like total igorance - US not great at dealing with foreigners?

Now got on to AT&T and working.

Mysterious happenings!

Thanks again for listening and helping

Message 10 of 12