cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I upgrade? 2 x Phones on account, with one upgradable but on the wrong number.

MattfromBasing
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

so this is really a question for O2, i'd have asked it via the online chat, however I don't seem to have that available at the moment.

My situation at the moment is that I have 2 mobile phones on my account with O2:

1 x iPhone 11 Pro with a monthly tarrif and a device plan still being paid off - This is my phone

1 x iPhone X with a monthly tarrif, but the device plan has already been paid off - This is my sons phone

My son is looking to move over to an iPhone 11 Pro and would love to get my phone, however of course my phone is still on a device plan, so i've no way to give him mine and get a new phone. I had an option, but not sure if this is workable with O2.

1. using my sons account I upgrade and get an iPhone 12 Pro for myself.

2. I give my old iPhone 11 Pro to my son.

3. My son swaps over his iPhone X sim into the iPhone 11 Pro and now his number is in the 11 Pro and he still has his monthly tarrif. I obvously keep paying the device plan for the 11 Pro.

4. Using my sons number, I upgrade to an iPhone 12 Pro for myself, take out a new device plan and get this phone. I take my sim out of the old iPhone 11 Pro and put it into the new 12 Pro.

So, a few questions:

1. Is this allowed with O2? I wouldn't think theres a problem with it as in the end I end up paying for 2 x device plans.

2. If you think about it, now my sons account would be running on the 12 Pro, whereas my account will be running on the 11 Pro, which is my sons new phone...

3. I realise the 12 Pro needs a 5G sim to run 5G correctly, however i'm not too bothered about that initially as my location doesn't have 5G at the moment. However this might come along soon and of course as far as O2 are concerned this '5G' phone is my sons on his number....

Hope i've described that ok, would love to know if its easier to do that i'm thinking. O2 help me please!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@MattfromBasing 

If I've understood correctly, you can upgrade the phone that's due now and use your sim in it.

The other phone just needs your sons sim in it and everything will stay the same with regards to numbers and tariff.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

MattfromBasing
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5

I think my only worry is that the accounts and phones will be mixed up. So if I need a 5g simm later on, it'll come as part of my sons 'account' and therefore I assume will have his phone number attached?

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@MattfromBasing 

Not at all. Just request a 5g sim for your number.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10140 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 2999 Solutions
@MattfromBasing

No you just request a 5G sim for your number, and just tell them that its for the phone you are using.

The only time which simcard is in which device is an issue is when it comes to inusrance.

What you are planning is absolutley fine. i do it all the time, my o2 sim goes in multiple devices.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 7

MattfromBasing
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks again,

i'll look to do this shortly wink

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
You're welcome

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7