Did you mean: 

Can I port a number to another person?

TheGingerNinja
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,

For the last few years, I've paid for a contract (in my own name) that my sister uses. This was becauase of personal circumstance. Now, my sister is in a position to get a new contract in her own name, which is fine, but she would like to keep the phone number that is on the contract in my name currently.

The question simply is, if I close the contract in my name, and get a PAC code for porting that number, can I then get the number ported onto another contract (either with o2 or another network entirely) in someone elses name?

Basically, can a PAC code be used by someone else other than me for my number. If I give my sister "my" numbers PAC code, can she port "my" number to her new contract in her own name?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@TheGingerNinja 

Yes you can.

If moving networks get a PAC Guide: How to get your PAC [June 2021 Update] 

but if staying with O2, just call to migrate the number. No PAC required Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

The best number to get through seems to be
0800 587 4005

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

O2Nathan
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi @TheGingerNinja

You absolutely can do this.

If you are out of contract on the number, I would say the easiest thing to do would be for your sister to take out a contract in her name, for whatever phone and tariff she wants.

As this is a new contract, it will come with a new number. If you speak to customer services, they will allow the old number to move to your sister's new contract. She would then need to speak to customer services herself to finalise the old number moving over.

I hope that makes sense!
Message 3 of 6

O2Karl
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 285 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 24 Solutions

TheGingerNinja

As long as you are out of contract, you and your sister can arrange to transfer the number.  This is called a change of ownership which is an O2 to O2 account change.

What I would recommend you doing it phoning up 202 or going on MY O2 just to make sure this is fine to go ahead.

How this works is, your sister would take a new contract out from O2 and the in store staff or customers services will help you with the rest.

If your sister would like to keep the number and move to anther network, as the account holder you just need to text PAC to 65075 from the mobile number and O2 will send you your PAC number by text message. 

Hope that helps.

signature
Message 4 of 6

skibber
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

i took out an account for my sister in law and now after 6 years id like to put her details onto her own contract how do i do this 

Message 5 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@skibber Your sister would need to apply for the contract herself and pass a credit check. You could then take a look at this guide: Migration & porting into O2 - O2 Community

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 6