cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get around buying out my contract this way?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I recently broke the screen on my Samsung Galaxy S6 so it has now become unuseable with 6 months left on my contract.

I know that I can upgrade 3 months early, but I don't have another device to use in the meantime, and I'd prefer to upgrade to a new phone as soon as possible.

My question is: To avoid having to pay off the rest of my contract in one go, can I swap my current number to a PAYG SIM (after which I plan to take out a new contract with a different network) and replace my current number with a new one and continue to pay it monthly as usual? My phone is on my Dad's business account under his name, and he has agreed to continue to pay this for me so that I can start a new contact under my own name.

Would this be possible at all?

Any advice appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DDRomford
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
This is how I would get around it:
You will be keeping your current Sim contract running for 3 months anyway (Dad paying).
1.Take out your new contract in your name and get your new phone (unlocked);
2. Put your current Sim in the new phone and put the new Sim somewhere safe (remember where you put it!)
3. Before the end of the current Sim contract, ask your Dad to kindly get a PAC code from the original provider and say he wants to terminate the contract.
4. Then you phone your new provider (put the new Sim in your new phone and tell them you want to change the number on your account and give them the PAC code and the number you want on your account (which will be the number you have actually been using).
If you want reassurance this will work, tell them when you take out your new contract that you want to port over your existing number in 3 months' time.
There will be a short period you are without the old number you have been using (they usually tell you 24 hours but often it is no more than a couple of hours). The old Sim in your phone will stop working so put the new Sim in and use email until the new Sim stops working for the change over (or tell the people you keep in touch with the most what you are doing and there may be a short period you will be off the radar).
The new provider should notify you by text or email when the change has taken place.
Best of luck!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
No sorry, once you port the number it closes the account and generates a final bill for the remaining costs.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

DDRomford
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
This is how I would get around it:
You will be keeping your current Sim contract running for 3 months anyway (Dad paying).
1.Take out your new contract in your name and get your new phone (unlocked);
2. Put your current Sim in the new phone and put the new Sim somewhere safe (remember where you put it!)
3. Before the end of the current Sim contract, ask your Dad to kindly get a PAC code from the original provider and say he wants to terminate the contract.
4. Then you phone your new provider (put the new Sim in your new phone and tell them you want to change the number on your account and give them the PAC code and the number you want on your account (which will be the number you have actually been using).
If you want reassurance this will work, tell them when you take out your new contract that you want to port over your existing number in 3 months' time.
There will be a short period you are without the old number you have been using (they usually tell you 24 hours but often it is no more than a couple of hours). The old Sim in your phone will stop working so put the new Sim in and use email until the new Sim stops working for the change over (or tell the people you keep in touch with the most what you are doing and there may be a short period you will be off the radar).
The new provider should notify you by text or email when the change has taken place.
Best of luck!
Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You may also wish to check that you can upgrade 3 months early too but even if you can, that only applies to an upgrade with o2.
If you are moving networks you'll need to still pay for that 3 month period.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous happy Monday! How are you getting on? slight_smile Did you get all the info you needed or do you still have any additional questions the community could help you with?

Thanks @MI5 & @DDRomford! slight_smile

Message 5 of 5