cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from Mali

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

has anyone else started recieving calls from abroad? has o2 been hacked? I googled the calls and a lot of comments on a 'who called me' website dated today say they are o2 customers and also recieving numerous calls from Mali. Seems very dubious to me.

If o2 you have been hacked, or our data sold on I would request you contact all your customers who may be affected

Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi guys I’ve had a response on this and I can confirm that these calls are part of a scam that relies on you calling the number back to make money. Provided that you don’t call the number back you won’t be charged. Unfortunately, O2 are unable to block these calls as a quick fix because the number changes regularly but they are looking at ways to address them.

The advice is as follows:

• It’s best not to answer these calls but if you do you won’t be charged
  • Don’t call the numbers back or you will be charged!
  • Block these nuisance numbers on your device to prevent repeat calls from the same number

You can also find some advice on dealing with these types of calls in this Community guide

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Many posts on here this week about the same thing - something fishy definitely going on........

Main thread here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Anyone-else-suddenly-started-getting-nuisance-calls-from-M...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I had a quick search but couldn't see the other posts. Surprised they haven't put a statement out as it looks as though it has been happing for around 3 or 4 days

Message 3 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have too! They are calling me around 6 times a day. Everytime I get a call I block the number and then I get called again in a few hours off a different Mali number!

I dont know what to do to stop it, its so infurating! 

Message 4 of 22

MI5
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
@Martin-O2 @Marjo any comment from O2 at all ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Apart from changing your marketing preference in your MyO2 and blocking the numbers I don't think there's anything anyone can do.:smileysad:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 22

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @MI5

@Anonymous, @Anonymous I'll see what I can find out on this one for you. Please keep an eye on this thread for updates. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 22

MI5
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Cheers Martin.
It seems a little strange to get all these posts within a few days rap when considering the other issue you are looking into for us.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5wrote:
Cheers Martin.
It seems a little strange to get all these posts within a few days rap when considering the other issue you are looking into for us.

Agree..rather too coincidental really...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 22

Dayta
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I started receiving the calls from various +22 numbers at 13:30 today.  3 so far:

+223699148335 +22365519626 +22369959958.

I can't see a resolution in this thread and so will contact O2 to ask what's happening.

Thanks

Mike

Message 10 of 22