Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling and texting to and from abroad

Leah5
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’m only young and I need someone to explain to me what exactly I can do whilst I’m abroad with my phone. Preferably someone with experience with technology and understands bills and roaming instead of listening to my parents who haven’t a clue. I’m 14, I’ve got an iPhone 6s and I’m on pay monthly. I want to text people whilst I’m away in France but I don’t quite understand what I need to be careful of. Do I need a package or anything for me to text the U.K. or does it just come with my tariff? Help x
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Just usde your phone as normal @Leah5 when in any EU country.

All calls, texts and data come out of your UK allowances so stay within those and it won't cost a penny extra at all.

O2 help here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/roaming-in-europe

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Just usde your phone as normal @Leah5 when in any EU country.

All calls, texts and data come out of your UK allowances so stay within those and it won't cost a penny extra at all.

O2 help here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/roaming-in-europe

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Leah

Everyone finds this pretty complicated and you should read this Guide carefully before you travel.

You also need to check whether your phone has the correct free 02 travel bolt on, using MyO2

and iPhone data for EU travel,  which might involve calling customer services, on 202.

In a nutshell as @MI5 says making calls, and texts and using data when you are IN France will be just like if you were making them from here. So there shouldn't be unexpected charges... But if you go over your monthly allowances the costs will quickly mount up.. so check myO2 frequently.

Making calls and texts from here to France is a whole different story and will cost you or whoever is making them a fortune... So you should stick to whatsapp or similar for those. Tho anybody calling you or texting  on your number whilst you are in France will just be charged at their normal rates.

Tho if you start calling or texting other people in France whilst in the UK we're back to being charged a fortune.

Have a great trip. 🙂

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

You also need to check whether your phone has the correct free 02 travel bolt on,  

There are no EU travel bolt ons available anymore.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You also need to check whether your phone has the correct free 02 travel bolt on,  

There are no EU travel bolt ons available anymore.

I have an O2 Travel opt out bolt on an a PAYG which gives  4p data in the Guernsey, IoM Swiss and Monaco (which isn't in the EU)  and an O2 Travel bolt-on on PAYM which doees cover Monaco...

So assuming @Leah5 isn't going to go to Switzerland, the Channel Islands or Monaco she should be golden, or at least not roam onto any Monaco, or Swiss networks at least.

See told you this was complicated. 😉

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tho Monaco and Switzerland might be included in the EU zone even though they are not in the EU...not sure about Lichtenstein or Andorra.

Message 6 of 10

Leah5
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The main person I want to text is my bestfriend and he will want to know what I’m doing and stuff. He is on pay as you go so will it cost him extra to send messages to me?
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Leah5 wrote:
The main person I want to text is my bestfriend and he will want to know what I’m doing and stuff. He is on pay as you go so will it cost him extra to send messages to me?

No, it won't cost either of you extra as long as you stay in your allowances.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If you want to use data @Leah5 make sure that you have the correct idata bolt on by calling customer service.

14 years old and you have a boyfriend.....oh for those days again! (not a boyfriend for me you understand wink)

....enjoy your travelling smile

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think @Leah5 said she wanted to keep in touch with her bestfriend. 🙂

Message 10 of 10