cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling Spain to a UK number in Indonesia - included?

Natalie27
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
My UK data, minutes and texts are all included in Spain.
My partner and his 3 mobile UK phone are in Indonesia, where his data, minutes and texts also work.
Can we call eachother within our allowance? Or will we get charged?
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Natalie27 

No, I'm afraid you calling him will incur a charge as Indonesia is not in Europe. Only calls to countries within the EU are free. 

You will be paying international rates. Please see the table below

Spain indonesia.PNG

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad#

If you both have Wifi then you could use Messenger or Whatsapp for free.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 25

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
Actually @Cleoriff calling a UK number which is roaming comes out of your allowance as there is no way any network apart from 3 knows that the UK mobile is outside of the UK.

You would only incur charges if @Natalie27 was calling an indonesian number, however the ops partner will be charged for receiving a call.

Cheers,
Andy
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@madasaf1sh 

Not how I understood it at all. When I was in Spain and called a UK number in Thailand I was charged.

Hence my response.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 25

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Might be worth calling in the experts - can you confirm which of the below is correct @EmilieT @Marjo:
An o2 customer currently in an EU country calls a UK mobile number in a non-EU country.
Are they;
a) charged for making a call to the non-EU country as if they were in the UK making the call, or
b) not charged as called from an EU country to a UK number (regardless of that number's current location) is included in their allowance?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 25

Natalie27
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

To explain, my partner's phone contract enables him to be call and receive calls from UK mobiles within his allowance when in Indonesia. I was just wondering if this would extend to me calling him from my UK phone number whilst in Spain (included in my allowance).

Thanks!
Message 6 of 25

Natalie27
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
There might be a third option due to the fact his contract allows him to use his phone normally in Indonesia, just as I can use mine in the EU.
Message 7 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Natalie27 wrote:
Hi,

To explain, my partner's phone contract enables him to be call and receive calls from UK mobiles within his allowance when in Indonesia. I was just wondering if this would extend to me calling him from my UK phone number whilst in Spain (included in my allowance).

Thanks!

Hi @Natalie27  Yes we understood that, but you have been given two different answers, so we are asking our community managers @Marjo or @EmilieT which is correct. I was posting about my own experience and know I was charged. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 25

AndrewH
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is correct.

Message 9 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@AndrewH wrote:

This is correct.

You need to quote the post you are referring to or else it is a guess.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 25