cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call merging (s5). Will I/the other two people get charged?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello slight_smile
I have a contract with 02 which has unlimited mins. I wish to call two of my friends (using the merg feature on the samsung s5) but I am worried about the call charges to myself and the others.

If i call my friend then merge in my other friend will they be charged at all for the threeway call?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123121 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Are you talking about conference calling? I found a couple of other threads... this is one

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Conference-calling/td-p/310148

This question has been asked before on the forum and I have only found one relevant answer...

With Group Conferencing, there's no monthly subscription, you just pay for your own call charges per minute.

If you're on an O2 mobile, calls are charged at 8p per minute, or within your call bundle, 24 hours a day
If you are not an O2 customer, calls are charged at the same rate as calling an O2 mobile
Each caller pays for their own call charge and it doesn't cost you anything extra to chair or set up the call
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Call-conference-Call-Mergeing/td-p/371016

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 17

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Call merging is actually different from call conferencing. I would think that each call would cost the mobile concerned in making the call depending on who originated the call.

Message 3 of 17

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
If you call friend 1 and then call friend 2 and merge both calls, there will be no charges for anyone as you are using your own inclusive minutes.
If someone else calls you whilst on a call and you merge that one it will be charged (or allocated) to the person who called you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous,

I do this with my friends on a regular basis from my mobile which i have unlimited minutes on & as far as i'm aware they have never been charged for it, it only uses my free minutes as i'm the one making the calls. Have a browse at what other people have to say about it before you take my word though wink

Check this link out and see what you think:

http://eguides.sprint.com/support/eguides/samsunggalaxys5/index.html#samsung_galaxy_s_5_ug/3_way_calling.html

Message 5 of 17

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
If you call friend 1 and then call friend 2 and merge both calls, there will be no charges for anyone as you are using your own inclusive minutes.
If someone else calls you whilst on a call and you merge that one it will be charged (or allocated) to the person who called you.

That's what I was trying to say in my own clumsy way. Whoever originates the call that is merged would be charged from their own allowance. No extra charges for any party.

Message 6 of 17

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
That's correct @jonsie
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 17

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
O2 don't support native conference calling. You call put one call in hold and dial another but the calls can't be merged. The handset option will show but won't work.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 8 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 123121 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

There are a number of threads on here, going back to 2009, about call merging. Each thread mentions conference calling somewhere in the posts. Maybe we need something definitive in writing...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 17

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Well I've just tried it again on my phone there just to test it and again the option shows but doesn't function. It's not the phone, and it works on Tmobile.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 10 of 17