cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call from 'O2' offering extra discount - scam or not?

Sheeley
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had a call today from 'O2' offering me an extra discount on my account. The-two text verification was sent to my phone but I was really uncomfortable giving the security code back to someone when I have no means of verifying who they are. Are these discounts really being offered? When I queried why I was getting it the person just said that because lots of customers have left there is some random selection of accounts who are being offered discounts to entice them to stay. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24077 Posts
  • 1049 Topics
  • 3778 Solutions

@Barnsley-Bill Apart from reporting this to O2 you should also report it to the police:

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 11 of 14

Good_Red_Wine
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

October 2022 - This one is still doing the rounds - I had a call today. Moderately convincing. I considered holding on to find out exactly what information other than my phone number they had about me. But as I wasn't sure about how the scam was working decided that discretion was the better part of valour. Keep monitoring your "this sounds fishy meter" - in this case - "it sounds too good to be true". So it probably is.

Message 12 of 14

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24077 Posts
  • 1049 Topics
  • 3778 Solutions

@Good_Red_Wine This is a plague that has been going on for years, and until the networks find a solution to it will probably continue for years to come. The only thing anyone can do is stay alert, follow the advice in the links, do not respond to cold callers, and keep on reporting incidents when they happen. After all the years this has been going on, and all the horror stories reported, people still unfortunately fall for these scams. If there weren't so many gullible people they'd stop, but they're still out there.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 13 of 14

Lucymayie
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Did changing your password and security question stop them accessing your account - I had this same call they had all my information and I gave them the onetime password they changed my password but I went through the forgot my details option while still on the phone changed my password and security information  not sure if I need to do something else 

Message 14 of 14